Volleyball setting up for the 2023 campaign

Bianca Bertolino (5) prepares to kill a set in a home exhibition match against the Auburn Tigers on Saturday, August 19th in O’Keefe Gymnasium. The Jackets went on to win 4-1. // Photo by Nick Andrews Student Publications

After a season where Tech Volleyball finished ranked as the number 13 squad in the country and third in the ACC, the Jackets are looking to perform even better than last season. Tech starts the season ranked 20th in the nation due to the losses of key contributors Julia Bergmann, Nicole Derwick and Erin Moss. The loss of Bergmann will be felt thanks to her being a three-time all-American, tying her for the second most in program history. 

Anticipating the loss of those key contributors, Coach Michelle Collier and her staff have recruited eight new Jackets: three transfers and five freshmen. Of the additions, Liv Mogridge is one of the more highly anticipated, thanks to her impressive freshman year at North Carolina. Mogridge was named an ACC All-Freshman after accruing 87 blocks and 141 kills while starting all but one game for her previous team. Mogridge may be the most recognizable incoming Jacket, but all of the newcomers are looking to make an instant impact. 

Despite the turnover in the squad, Tech has two preseason All-ACC selections in Bianca Bertolino and Bella D’Amico. Bertolino led the team in receptions and was second in digs, proving to be a key player for the Jackets last season. D’Amico led the team in assists with 1042, being the main playmaker on the team. However, Tech also needs other players to step up to fill the shoes of the departing superstars.

Tech took advantage of home court last season, boasting an impressive 11-3 record. The Jackets are looking to carry over the home form from last season into the coming year. Tech’s first home game is against Georgia on September 15th in McCamish Pavilion for the Georgia Tech Classic. Tech finishes up the classic with two more matches against Howard and San Diego. A week later on September 24, the Jackets take on the NC State Wolfpack in their first game in O’Keefe Gymnasium. Tech has more home games later in the year against Florida State, Miami, Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse. The Jackets’ away bouts are against South Florida, Penn State, Ohio State, South Alabama, Stetson, Florida A&M, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Boston College, Syracuse, Miami and Louisville. With a mixture of familiar and new faces, it’s sure to be another exciting season of Tech Volleyball. Replacing the departing stars is certain to be a challenge, and it remains to be seen how this group will fare this upcoming season, but with the backing that comes with the Jackets, they are sure to play with great intensity and camaraderie. Fans should make sure to show their support in bringing their voice and passion to both the McCamish Pavilion and O’Keefe Gymnasium games.