Tennis tops Northwestern

Freshman Megan Kurey hits a backhand volley. Kurey came up short in her doubles match, but won her sinlges match 6-4, 4-6, 6-1 to clinch a Tech victory over eleventh ranked Northwestern. / Photo by John Nakano

The Tech Women’s tennis team defeated eleventh ranked Northwestern on Monday, 4-3. Tech is now 7-6 and 1-2 in conference play.

Tech’s third doubles team of junior Muriel Wacker and senior Elizabeth Kilborn made quick work of the Wildcats winning fairly easily, 8-4. The line two doubles team of freshman Natasha Prokhnevska and sophomore Jasmine Minor were the next to finish, but came up short losing 8-4.

Kurey would defeat Linda Abu Mushrefova 6-4, 4-6, 6-1 to give Tech
the victory.

The doubles point came down to freshman Kendal Woodard and freshman Megan Kurey. After a hot start that put Tech up 4-0, Northwestern would make a comeback. It was deuce at six all when Megan Kurey hit a serve that appeared to be an ace, but was called out by Northwestern. Kurey would go on to double fault and then Northwestern would eventually win that game to go up 7-6. Northwestern would hold serve the next game to win the match 8-6 and give the Wildcats the doubles point.

In singles, Northwestern’s Kate Turvy defeated Eizabeth Kilborn 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 1 singles. At the No. 2 singles, Kendal Woodard cruised past Northwestern’s No. 96 ranked Veronica Corning 6-1, 6-0 for the upset.

Tech picked up another point at three singles when Natasha Prokhevska defeated Alicia Barnett. Northwestern’s Nida Hamilton defeated Jasmine Minor at the six spot 6-1, 6-4.

Tech’s Muriel Wacker would tie the overall score up 3-3 with her second win of the day when she defeated Brittany Wowchuk 7-6, 6-4 at five singles.

Just like the doubles, it would come down to Megan Kurey. Kurey would defeat Linda Abu Mushrefova 6-4, 4-6, 6-1 to give Tech the victory.

Tech’s next match will be Saturday at 11 a.m. as the Jackets host the Eagles of Boston College. This will be the first of eight straight conference matches for the Jackets.