Jackets win two matches

The Tech men’s tennis team swept a double-header of matches at Ken Byers Tennis Complex on Saturday, Feb. 16. The Jackets defeated North Florida 6-1, and followed that up with a 7-0 sweep against the Mercer Bears in the evening.

The Jackets defeated North Florida 6-1, and followed that up with a 7-0 sweep against Mercer

The Jackets first played North Florida in the afternoon in a four hour victory. The third-ranked doubles pair of senior Juan Spir and sophomore Vikram Hundal lost their first doubles match of the year, dropping them to an 8-1 record in 2013. Tech would eventually get the doubles point when sophomores Eduardo Segura and Colin Edwards won 8-6 in a close match at number three doubles.

The Jackets clinched the victory by winning five of their singles matches. Spir redeemed his doubles loss with a straight sets win in No. 1 singles, while Hundal also won his singles match, winning the last two sets in the No. 3 singles match.

In the second matchup, the Jackets defeated winless Mercer 7-0 to improve their record to 0.500 on the year. The Jackets won the doubles point quickly, starting with a win by the pair of Spir and Hunter to improve their season record to 9-1. The singles matches were all completed in straight sets. Spir, Melian and Hundal won the top three singles matches, while freshman Nathan Rakitt, sophomore Eduardo Seguro, and freshman Anish Sharma won the bottom six matches respectively.

The Jackets men’s tennis team will look to improve on their 4-4 record when they travel to play twenty-first ranked Auburn University on Feb. 23.