Softball goes 5-0 in Tech Inviational

Photo by John Nakano / Freshman outfielder Morgan Taylor makes contact with the ball. Taylor went 7-12 in the tournament, as Tech won all five games.

The Tech softball team hosted the Georgia Tech Invitational last weekend to start off the season. The Jackets went 5-0 with wins over Eastern Michigan and Butler on Friday, Missouri State and Coastal Carolina on Saturday, and then Coastal Carolina again on Sunday.

In the season opener against Eastern Michigan, Senior Hope Rush pitched a complete game one hit shutout and only walked one hitter while striking out five batters.

Rush also had an impressive day at the plate. Rush was 2-4 and had five RBIs. Rush continued to hit well throughout the tournament. She finished 6-15 with 12 RBI’s, including two home runs.

Freshman outfielder Morgan Taylor had a very impressive tournament to start off her college career. Taylor went 7-12 in the tournament, including a double and a triple.

Sophomore second baseman Chelsie Thomas went 6-12 and was walked three times. Thomas showed off her speed throughout the tournament stealing seven bases on seven attempts.

Tech will start play in the Georgia Tech Classic tonight, hosting Marshall and Miami of Ohio, and Indiana and Miami of Ohio for a second time on Saturday.