Men’s tennis defeated by UGA

Photo by John Nakano / Sophomore Colin Edwards prepares to hit a volley. Edwards did not finish, but was winning 7-6 when Tech clinched the doubles.

The men’s tennis team lost to in-state rival Georgia 5-2 at home last Friday in front of a packed Ken Byers Tennis Complex to drop to 2-4 on the season. It was the fourth straight loss for the Jackets after starting the season with two straight wins.

The Jackets were outmatched in singles play as Georgia took five of six.

Tech took an early lead in the match by winning the doubles point, which they have made a habit of doing this year. The No. 3 ranked pair of Juan Spir and Vikram Hudal took down the Bulldogs’ No. 5 ranked Hernus Pieters and Ben Wagland by a score of 8-4. Spir and Hudal improved to 8-0 in doubles matches this spring. Tech’s second pairing of Juan Melian and Nathan Rakitt also won their match, clinching the point for the Jackets.

However, the Jackets were outmatched in singles play as Georgia took five of six. At the first singles posistion, Tech’s Jaun Melian was defeated 6-2, 6-4 by UGA’s 19th ranked Nathan Pasha. The only Tech victory came from Spir, as he upset No. 16 ranked Pieters in two sets, 6-3, 5-4. The remaining Tech players were each defeated in straight sets.

Tech will be back in action on Saturday, Feb. 16, when they host a doubleheader vs. North Florida at noon and Mercer at 6 p.m. Both matches will be free and open to the public.