Lady Jackets drop sixth consecutive contest

Photo by Alan Tahler / Sophomore guard Sydney Wallace drives hard to the basket. Wallace was a bright spot during Tech’s 78-66 loss against N.C. State on Sunday, scoring 21 points to go along with four assists.

The N.C. State Wolfpack women’s basketball team visited Atlanta on Jan. 27 and defeated the Jackets 78-66. After the loss, Tech dropped to an 8-12 record overall (1-8 ACC).

Sophomore guard Sydney Wallace led the Jackets with 21 points and was 5-6 from three point range. Wallace also had four assists and four steals. Freshman guard Brittany Jackson added 17 points off the bench to go along with five rebounds and four assists. Jackson was 10-10 from the free throw line.

Senior guard Marissa Kastanek led N.C. State with 24 points, including three three pointers. Kastanek also had eight rebounds. Junior center Markeisha Gatling was a force down low posting a career high 17 points on 8-10 shooting in only 26 minutes. Forward Kody Burke also had 17 points and eight rebounds.

Tech had the first score of the game on a layup by senior forward Danielle Hamilton- Carter to go up 2-0. Tech immediately went into a full court press which they used effectively the entire first half forcing the Wolfpack into nine turnovers.

A jumper by Wallace would put Tech up 10-3 at the 15:50 mark of the first half. Just minutes later Jackson hit a three pointer from the corner to put Tech up 14-11. After a Wallace three pointer with 6:32 left to put Tech up 31-20, it looked like Tech may begin to run away with it, but a nice run by the Wolfpack before the half would draw them within six at 38-32 going into the locker room.

Leading by six and outrebounding the Wolfpack 22-14 in the first half, Tech appeared to be the better team on that day, but it would not be long until N.C. State proved otherwise.

Tech started out the second half scoring on another Wallace three pointer to go up 41-32. N.C. State then went on a 9-0 run over the next four minutes to tie the game at 41 all.

It was all Wolfpack from this point on. Through the first 12 minutes of the second half the Wolfpack went on a dominating 26-7 run. After going nearly five minutes without scoring, junior guard Ty Marshall hit a jumper with 7:59 reaming to pull Tech within 12.
With 7:09 remaining, Wallace hit her fifth three-pointer of the game to cut the Wolfpack lead to 61-52. The Jackets were unable to get any closer as they watched State have their way in the paint the rest of the half.

Although Tech outrebounded State 43-33, the Wolfpack dominated the post outscoring the Jackets 42-18 in the paint. The Wolfpack also outscored Tech on fast break points 32-2.

“Every team that’s beat us has beaten us inside. Tonight was no different. Gatling had her career high and there’s no way we could stop her. We just don’t have the inside game to compete with some of these top post players,” said Head Coach MaChelle Joseph.
The Jackets’ next game will be on Feb. 3 at Virginia, and then against Virginia Tech on Feb. 8.