Roof hired as defensive coordinator

Tech announced on Wednesday that Ted Roof will become the next defensive coordinator of the football team. The move will not become official until a background check is completed next week. This will be Roof’s second stint as defensive coordinator at Tech after serving at the position from 1999-2002 under former head coach George O’Leary.

Roof will inherit a Tech defense that struggled for most of the season, but after only allowing seven points in their final six quarters of play, appear to have momentum heading into the 2013 season. The Tech defense will return eight starters, including three in the secondary and all four linebackers.

Roof was a member of the Tech football team from 1982-1985, and was a four time letter winner at linebacker. During his senior season, Roof was named a first-team All-ACC selection during his senior season.

Roof is coming to Tech after serving as defensive coordinator for one year at Penn State University. Under Roof, Penn State allowed opponents to gain 353.4 yards per game, good enough for fourth in the Big Ten and 29th in the nation. Penn State also ranked fourth in the Big Ten in points allowed only giving up 19.1 points per game.

Roof’s most notable season as a defensive coordinator came at Auburn in 2010 when the Tigers went 14-0 and won the BCS National Championship. Through the season, Auburn held opponents to just 24.1 points per game and only 109.1 rushing yards per game.