Club sports updates

Sailing

Sailing finished 5th at the SAISA Fall Conference Championship hosted by Eckerd over the weekend. The 5th place finish at the St. Petersburg location qualifies Tech for the AC tournament which will host the best teams from the sailing landscape.

Table Tennis

The Men and Women’s Club Table Tennis teams both won the Inaugural Georgia District Tournament, as both teams went undefeated, while beating UGA in the process.

Cycling

Luke Grob and Joshua Longenecker finished 53rd and 54th, respectively, in the short track portion of the 2012 USA Cycling Collegiate MTB Nationals, representing the Tech Cycling Team.  Longenecker also finished 42nd in the cross country portion of the competition and Grob completed his short track performance with a 52nd place finish.

Golf

Club Golf looks to improve on their second place finish at the first South Regional in Tennessee when they compete in South Regional 2 in South Carolina this weekend.  They finished second to ETSU in late September and they will be in a field that features ETSU, Clemson, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Water Polo

The Tech water polo team competed in the Southeastern Divisional Tournament over the weekend at Emory, finishing second in the regional. They lost to Vanderbilt in the championship after having previously beaten them 14-5 earlier in the year, just missing out tournament at Oregon State. The team finished 8-3 on the year.

Baseball

Club Baseball collected a 2-1 win over the weekend in a local fall men’s league. Hunter Wheeler pitched 9 shutout innings and collected 12 strikeouts. The team will continue to compete in fall ball until the season gets underway in the spring semester.

Hockey

Tech Hockey split a pair of games by falling to KSU 5-1 and defeating Clemson 9-2 in their second matchup with the Tigers in a week. Michael Klein and Colin Heim were strong in goal against Clemson and the offense rolled to a victory for the team’s fifth win of the season.