Track & Field hosts Yellow Jacket Invitational

The Yellow Jacket Invitational was highlighted by freshman Nikita Krillov’s pole vault performance, setting the school record at 17’10.5”. This is the third time this season that he has shattered a school record in pole vault. Tech’s track teams saw much success this past Saturday at the George C. Griffin Track and Field Complex. Overall, the Tech men’s and women’s track and field teams garnered six first place finishes throughout Saturday’s events.

On the sprinting side, another freshman saw success during the Yellow Jacket Invitational. With her second fastest time of the season, Stephanie Kalu earned a first place finish in the 100m dash, finishing in 11.79 seconds. Also, senior Anthony McKay took first place in the men’s 200m dash with a time of 21.14 seconds.

For the men’s mid-distance group, junior Shawn Roberts earned a first place finish in the men’s 1500m run with a time of 3:48. Also, senior Rick Scheff took first place in the Men’s 800m with a time of 1:51, being the fastest time by a Tech runner in the event this season. Senior Jhanelle McLeod earned first place in the women’s long jump with a leap of 19’7”, her career best.

Including the six first place victories, Tech nabbed a total of 15 top three finishes during the Yellow Jacket Invitational.

Freshman Zack Fanelty took second place in the men’s 800m run with a time of 1:52, while junior Doug Black earned second place in the men’s 5000m run with a time of 14:63. Also, freshman Glenn Powell ran a time of 14.45 seconds in the men’s 110m Hurdles to take second place, as freshman Brandon Mbaba jumped 6’8” to grab second place in the men’s high jump. Sophomore Jonathan Gardner leaped 49’8.5” to take second place in the men’s high jump.

Next weekend, some of the Jackets will continue action at the Florida Relays in Gainesville, Fla., while others will compete at the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, California.