Men’s tennis sweeps Boston College, tops Maryland

The Jackets came off of a 7-0 sweep of Miami at home before hosting Boston College and Maryland at home on March 23 and 25, respectively. The Jackets continued their hot streak, extending their winning streak to three matches with a 7-0 rout of Boston College before a 4-3 comeback win over Maryland.

Tech started the day strong, winning the doubles point 2-1 starting with an easy 8-2 win by senior Dusan Miljevic and freshman Eduardo Segura at the No. 3 spot over Boston College’s Matt Wagner and Billy Grokenberger. Freshmen tandem Vikram Hundal and Sebastian Lopez could not clinch the doubles point at the No. 2 court, dropping their match 8-4.

At the top court, senior Kevin King and junior Juan Spir had the toughest doubles match of the day against Akash Muppidi and Alex Skinner. Both teams held their serve throughout the match to finish with an 8-8 score, forcing a tiebreaker. King and Spir came back from a 4-1 deficit to rally and earn the 8-6 tiebreaker point and give Tech the doubles point.

The Jackets continued the strong play through singles play, with only one match going into three sets. At the No. 1 singles spot, King won the first set easily before having to rally in the second set to earn the straight set 6-3, 6-4 win. Spir also continued his doubles success, decisively beating Alex Skinner in straight sets 6-3, 6-3.

At the No. 3 court, Miljevic dropped the first set to Boston College’s Philip Nelson 6-3, but bounced back to easily win the next two sets for the three set, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 match. Miljevic fell behind 0-2 in the third set before scoring six straight points and earning the Jackets the team match win for the day.

Despite the remaining matches having no implications on the results of the team match, the Jackets kept up the intensity. Junior Juan Melian dismantled Boston College’s Jonathan Raude in straight sets, winning 6-1, 6-2. At the No. 5 court, Segura took his opponent to a first set tiebreaker before easily winning the second set for a 7-6 (7-3), 6-3 win.

At the final court, Lopez sealed the 7-0 sweep with an easy 6-2, 6-3 win over Michael McGinnis.

The Jackets did not have as easy of a day against the Maryland Terrapins two days later, though, coming from behind the majority of the day to win the match 4-3.

The Jackets could not get things rolling in doubles play, losing the doubles point for the first time since the Florida State match on Feb. 25.  At the No. 1 court, King and Spir dropped their match against Maryland’s Maros Horny and John Collins, 8-5.

Then at the No. 3 court, Maryland’s Andy Magee and Jesse Kiuru dropped Miljevic and Segura, 8-6.

The final doubles match at the No. 2 court went into a tiebreaker, where Maryland overwhelmed Hundal and Lopez, 7-1, to sweep the Jackets in doubles play and take a 1-0 lead.

King helped the Jackets even things again at the No. 1 court, rebounding with an easy 6-3, 6-2 win over Maros Horny. At the No. 2 spot, Maryland’s Vlad Stefan broke Spir once per set to take a 6-4, 6-4 win and put Maryland back on top by a point.

Then, at the No. 6 court, Lopez leveled things once again at 2-2 with the quickest match of the day, dismantling Andy Magee in a 6-1, 6-2 win. Segura started his match of strong at the No. 5 spot, winning 6-4, but could not win another set, eventually being bageled in the third set in a 4-6, 6-3, 6-0 loss.

The Jackets would respond again, though, when Melian evened the game at three-all. Melian would overtake his opponent John Collins with a three-set, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 victory.

Then, the results of the match came down to the thriller between Miljevic and Jesse Kiuru. After dropping the first set on a late break, Miljevic bounced back in a strong fashion to win 5-7, 6-2, 6-3 and give the Jackets their final point for a 4-3 team match win.

The Jackets return to action this weekend on the road when they head to Chapel Hill, N.C. on Friday, March 30, to face North Carolina before facing Duke two days later.