Women’s hoops closes season with two wins

The Georgia Tech women’s basketball team extended its winning streak to five games with a pair of wins over Virginia Tech and Clemson. The two wins clinched Tech a first round bye in the ACC Tournament and extended its school record for conference wins in a season to 12.

On Feb. 23, the No. 17 Jackets traveled to Blacksburg, Va. to take on the Virginia Tech Hokies. The Jackets won the game 76-66, but the close final score was not a good representation of the game.

The Jackets outrebounded the Hokies 35-24 and shot better from the field in three-pointers, free throws and overall field goal percentage. Georgia Tech’s backups also outscored the Hokies’ backups 26-6.

The Hokies managed to get within three points of the Jackets with five minutes to go in the first half, but the Jackets ended the half on a 16-3 run. Senior center Sasha Goodlett sparked the run for the Jackets with six points during the five-minute span.

Goodlett finished with team-highs in points and rebounds with 18 and eight, respectively.

Virginia Tech got within seven points of the Jackets’ lead with just over two minutes left in the game, but six points from senior point guard Metra Walthour down the stretch sealed the win.

Walthour finished the game with 14 points and two assists, while posting a perfect 7-7 line from the free throw line.

Following the road win, the Jackets returned home on Feb. 26 to face Clemson. The Jackets won their 22nd game of the season with a 72-50 win over the Tigers.

Instead of their usual home at the Gwinnett Arena, the Jackets hosted Clemson at Forbes Arena at Morehouse College due to Senior Day. The game proved memorable for the Georgia Tech seniors as the win gave them 37 conference victories and 91 total victories in their collegiate careers — both of which are school records.

Midway through the first half, the Jackets found themselves down 13-10. The Jackets proceeded to go on a 13-2 run that was started by a three-pointer from freshman guard Sydney Wallace. Wallace also finished the run with another three, giving Georgia Tech a 23-15 lead.

Wallace, who started the game on the bench, finished the game with a team-high 16 points that included four three-pointers. Wallace played an important part in the game as the Jackets’ bench scored 44 of the team’s 62 points.

After leading by eight at halftime, the Jackets found themselves leading by just five with ten minutes to go in the game. From that point, Georgia Tech went on an 11-0 run that gave the team the lead for the rest of the game.

Georgia Tech’s five seniors  — Goodlett, Walthour, forward Laquananisha Adams, forward Chelsea Regins and guard Mo Bennett — finished the game with a combined 18 points and 19 rebounds.

The Jackets’ next game will be March 2 against either North Carolina or Clemson in Greensboro, N.C. for the ACC Tournament. The Jackets will most likely face North Carolina, who enters the tournament as the fifth seed.