Women’s tennis cruises past No. 51 Princeton, 5-2

The Tech women’s tennis team defeated the No. 51 Princeton Tigers 5-2 to improve to 4-1 at home on Friday, Feb. 3. Going into the tournament, Tech was the No. 13 ranked team.

The Jackets won four of their six singles matches and swept the Tigers in doubles. Tech has won the doubles event in every team match this season.

Tech opened up doubles play with the pair of Lynn Blau and Elizabeth Kilborn dismantling Princeton’s Katherine Flanigan and Monica Chow, 8-0. With the win, the pair rose to 7-0 overall.

Sophomore Muriel Wacker and Christina Ngo brought their season record to 3-3 and secured the Jackets’ win. The pair faced off against Princeton’s No. 55 ranked pair of Katie Goepel and Rachel Sointz. The Jackets finished this match with an 8-2 win.

The final doubles match of the day pitted Jackets Jillian O’Neill and Alex Anghelescu against the Princeton pair of Hilary Bartlett and Lindsay Graff, ranked No. 51 nationally. The Jackets defeated the Tigers in an 8-6 match to close out the day.

Senior O’Neill, ranked No. 45 nationally, opened the singles competition by defeating Bartlett in two sets, 6-0 and 6-1.

Senior Blau and sophomore Anghelescu both won their matches in straight sets to secure the Jackets’ win on the day. Blau took her match 6-0 and 6-2, while Anghelescu won with a 6-1 and 6-3 effort.

The Tigers won the next two matches by defeating juniors Ngo and Kilborn. Ngo, who was ranked No. 106 nationally, fell in two 6-3 sets. Kilborn lost the first set 6-2, rebounded for a 6-3 win in the second, and dropped the final set, 6-3.

Freshman Jasmine Minor finished singles play for Tech with a win over Flanigan. Minor fought her way from behind in both sets, winning 7-5, 7-5.

The Jackets will next play in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Team Indoor Championship this weekend at the University of Virginia’s Boar’s Head Sports Club.