Swim & Dive drops ACC meet

The Tech swimming and diving team was unable to defeat Florida State and North Carolina at a dual meet at home this past weekend. The Seminoles defeated the men 162.5-137.5 and the women 185-106, while N.C. State brought down the Jackets 197-102 for the men and 181.5-112.5 for the women.

“It was a good meet and that was the closest our men have been to Florida State in a long time, so that was exciting. We have some things to work on over the next four or five weeks, but our focus continues to be the ACC Championship and I like how we’re progressing towards that as a team,” said Head Coach Courtney Shealy Hart, courtesy of ramblinwreck.com.

Freshman Andrew Kosic had a successful day on the men’s team, placing fourth in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:40.19. With that time, Kosic was one-tenth of a second short of matching his season best in the 200-yard free.

Kosic’s biggest victory of the day came when he tied for the win in the 50-yard free with NC State sophomore Jonathan Boffa. Kosic and Boffa were back and forth throughout the day, including a narrow win by Boffa in the 100-yard freestyle.

The Jackets also saw other victories by sophomore Anton Lagergvist in the 200-meter breaststroke with a time of 2:03.27, along with a win by freshman Nico van Dujin winning the 100-meter fly in 49.16 seconds.

The women finished strong in the 200-yard medley relay. The two teams placed third and fourth, with the third place team finishing less than two seconds behind first.

The Tech men finished second and fourth for their 200-yard medley relay. NC State picked up the first place spot, while FSU tied Tech for second.

Off the one meter board, junior Brandon Makison picked up second place and sophomore Ashley Hardy and senior Helen Alvey picked up third and fourth, respectively.

Makinson finished fourth in the three-meter dive, while Hardy and Alvey placed fourth and fifth, respectively.

The Jackets will next swim against Virginia Tech in Blacksburg this Saturday, Jan. 21.