Ramblin’ with: Jennifer Percy

Technique: At what point did you realize that you could have a very promising future in volleyball?

Percy: My sophomore year in high school, when I started getting more playing time and getting kills. I realized that if I used my natural ability, meaning my height and my vertical, that I could have a lot of potential.

Technique: I’ve seen girl’s volleyball teams celebrate aces on a serve with an “ace” dance. Do the Lady Jackets observe such a tradition?

Percy: Oh yes, we definitely have very intense ace dances.

Technique: Do you have a favorite ace dance?

Percy: This year’s is great.

Technique: How did you end up at Tech?

Percy: [Tech] was my first college visit my freshman year of high school, and I just loved everything about it. The school, the academics, and the volleyball team.

Technique: What do you think of it?

Percy: I love it. I love everything about it. It’s hard and it challenges me, but that’s only going to make me better.

Technique: Tell me about being a student athlete at Tech.

Percy: Being a student athlete is difficult. You definitely have to learn time management. How to balance both academics and athletics. But I think it has made me grow up a lot more and a lot quicker than I thought I would. It [the experience] has definitely benefited me and I wouldn’t change anything about it.

Technique: What are some individual goals you have for the season?

Percy: I would like to make the All ACC team. I was able to make the all freshman team last year, and I want to go in a positive direction this year.

Technique: How about team goals?

Percy: I think that we really want to compete in the NCAA tournament. This past weekend, we did a great job of showing character and how our team is. I think that we can go far and do better things than we did last year.

Technique: Describe your role on the team.

Percy: I think this year I’ve taken on a new role, as the one who brings energy and excitement on the court. I’m a positive leader. I’m never one to come down on anyone. I’d rather use my words to lift people up and help keep their confidence up. I used to be mental. It’s hard once you get mentally down and crushed to stay positive and keep throwing punches.

Technique: What’s your major?

Percy: Management.

Technique: We’ve all had them, what’s your most embarrassing moment?

Percy: Oh gosh, there’s so many. On the court, probably one of the hundred times that I have been blocked in the face. Pretty embarassing, especially with the kind of crowd that we have.

Technique: Where do you see yourself five years down the road?

Percy: I’ve thought about playing overseas maybe professionally if I continue to grow and my body doesn’t break down on me.