Softball wins four straight

On March 4, the Tech softball team traveled to Woodstock, Ga. to host the Buzz Classic. Bad weather forced the team to reschedule two games, but the Jackets managed to defeat three teams by a combined score of 30-4.

Tech faced off against Jacksonville State on Friday afternoon and Evansville that night. The team knocked in 22 runs on 25 hits in the two games combined, beating Jacksonville State, 4-3, and crushing Evansville, 18-1.

Senior pitcher Kristen Adkins was wild throughout the first game, but she still managed to pick up the win to improve her record to 5-2 on the year. Adkins walked six batters and gave up nine hits, but she pitched well with runners on base, stranding 13 of them.

Adkins had to escape trouble in the seventh and final inning when the Gamecocks put runners on first and third with only one out. With only a one-run lead, Adkins got the Gamecocks to spoil a suicide squeeze and then ground out to third to end the game.

Tech’s offense was led by junior left fielder Shannon Bear and freshman third baseman Alysha Rudnik who both hit solo homers in the game. Senior center fielder Christy Jones also pitched in with a two-for-two day and a RBI batting from the leadoff spot.

Rudnik performed well in the second game of the day by hitting another homer, this one plating two. However, it was not just Rudnik who led the Jackets; 11 different Tech players had hits, and junior right fielder Jessica Sinclair hit two homers and knocked in four.

Freshman pitcher Lindsey Anderson performed well in the game as well by throwing a one-hitter that was shortened to five innings due to the mercy rule. Anderson struck out eight and allowed her only run of the game in the fifth inning, when the game was all but over.

Two towering homers from sophomore pitcher Hope Rush highlighted Tech’s final game of the weekend, as the Jackets defeated UAB 8-0.

Adkins pitched well in her second consecutive day of work by throwing five shutout innings and struck out four. Rush came in to close the game and struck out two batters in two innings of work.

The game was tied at zero until the third inning when freshman second baseman Ashley Thomas got a single with one out. Thomas stole second base and Jones slapped a hit that allowed Thomas to reach third. After a steal by Jones, junior catcher Kate Kuzma plated them both with a single.

Rush added to the Jackets lead in the fourth with one of her homers, and junior shortstop Kelsi Weseman hit a homer of her own in the fifth to put Tech’s lead at 5-0. Rush homered later in the inning, and senior first baseman Kristine Priebe scored on a wild pitch later in the game to round out the scoring.

Tech was supposed to play Penn State and Alabama in the tournament, but the teams rescheduled, so the Jackets took on the Nittany Lions on March 8 at Kennesaw State’s field.

The Jackets won the game 2-0 thanks to solid play from Rush who homered and threw five shutout innings. Bear added a homer of her own for the game’s final run. Adkins pitched the final two innings for her second save of the season.

Tech was scheduled to take on No. 2 Alabama the following day at home, but the game was rained out and rescheduled for a date to be determined.