Men’s hoops falls to Terps, 74-63

Photo by Kevin Brawley / Student Publications
On Jan. 30, the Tech men’s basketball team put its 3-0 conference home record on the line when it hosted Maryland. The Terrapins only made one shot outside of the paint but held off the Jackets for a 74-63 victory.
The Jackets got bad news to start the game as both sophomore guard Brian Oliver and freshman center Nate Hicks would miss the game. Oliver missed the game due to the flu, and Hicks was recovering from an appendectomy.
“Having [Oliver and Hicks] might have helped, but I thought that we had enough to win this game. I really did. I was very confident because of how we were playing and attacking our assignments over the last few games,” said Head Coach Paul Hewitt.
The game started off rough for the Jackets as Maryland’s star player, Jordan Williams, scored the first four points of the game to give the Terps an early lead. Williams’ second basket was off of a teammates’ miss that he leaped up high for and tipped in.
“[Williams] established himself early in the game with all of those offensive rebounds and put backs and put us on our heels. He establishes a presence around the basket that we just didn’t have an answer for,” Hewitt said.
Maryland extended its lead to eight when Sean Mosley hit a layup at the 15 minute mark to make the score 14-6.
At this point, freshman forward Kammeon Holsey picked up his second foul of the game, forcing him to sit for the rest of the half. This, combined with freshman center Daniel Miller’s second foul earlier in the half, forced the Jackets to use a five-guard lineup.
With this unorthodox lineup, Tech came storming back as freshman guard Jason Morris hit a jumper that was sandwiched in between threes from sophomore guard Glen Rice Jr. and junior guard Iman Shumpert, tying the score at 14.
Maryland finally found a way to get the ball to Williams after the tie, as Williams put the Terps back in the lead by four. Williams had his way with Tech’s all-guard lineup as he found easy paths to the basket by towering over the six-foot tall sophomore guard Mfon Udofia who was guarding him.
Tech’s small team fought hard to stay in the game, and re-tied the game at 25 when Rice got fouled by Molsey and hit the two free throws.
Maryland went back in front late in the first half, but Tech came back again by going on a 7-2 run to end the half, highlighted by a three from senior guard Lance Storrs and a layup from Shumpert.
Storrs’ three was his first points since Nov. 30 against Northwestern.
Maryland opened the game up later in the second half with a 10-point run that was sparked by a pair of Holsey turnovers. Williams capped off the run with a highlight reel dunk.
Williams finished the game with 21 points and 15 rebounds, leading all players in both categories.
“I just wasn’t prepared tonight. [Williams] is a big, good player, and I came out and didn’t do my assignment,” Miller said.
Tech cut Maryland’s lead to four when four different Tech guards hit baskets. This included Rice, who dropped his 16th and last point of the game with a six-foot jumper. Along with his 16 points, Rice also led the Jackets with 12 rebounds.
“Our guys are playing hard. The effort is great, and Glen did give us a great effort with 12 rebounds,” said Hewitt.
Tech was within four, but time was running out so the Jackets were forced to start fouling Maryland to stop the clock. Maryland made its free throws and won the game.