11/12/10: Sports shorts

Doubles team falls in semifinals

The Jackets double team of junior Kevin King and sophomore Juan Spir lost in the semifinals of the USTA/ITA National Collegiate Indoor Championships on Saturday, Nov. 6.
The No. 43 ranked Tech doubles team started the tournament by beating the No. 8 ranked team from Kentucky, 8-6. The win meant that the Tech team would have to face the No. 1 ranked Duke team the following day.
In another close match, the Tech team defeated its ACC rival team, 8-5 and secured a place in the tournament’s semifinals.
King and Spir next faced the Texas A&M team of Jeff Dadamo and Austin Krajicek. The Tech team forced two tiebreakers but eventually fell 6-4, 6-7 (8), 7-6 (6).

Volleyball team splits two games

On Friday, Nov. 5, the Tech volleyball team hosted Florida State. Tech hit just .113 for the game and fell to the Seminoles, 3-0 (22-25, 23-25, 18-25).
Sophomore rightside hitter Monique Mead had 14 kills and seven digs while senior setter Mary Ashley Tippins had 30 assists.
Tech led late in the first set 19-18, but the Seminoles went on a 7-3 scoring run to win 25-22.
Tech performed better the following night against Miami and defeated the Hurricanes, 3-1 (20-25, 25-18, 25-19, 25-23).
Mead had 19 kills and junior outside hitter Bailey Hunter added 18 more kills to overcome a 1-0 deficit.
Senior libero Jordan McCullers had a career-high 28 digs, and Tech hit .266 for the match even when including the team’s first set percentage of .091.