09/05/10: Sports shorts

Men’s basketball team to play in tournament in Bahamas

The Tech men’s basketball team just recently announced that it will play the University of Richmond in the inaugural Battle at Atlantis in the Bahamas on Saturday, Dec. 18, 2010.

This will be the fourth trip out of the United States for Tech’s basketball team since the 2006-07 season, when the Jackets played in the EA Sports Maui Invitational in the beginning of the season. Tech also has played in the 2007 Paradise Jam in the St. Thomas, USVI and the 2009 O’Reilly Auto Parts Puerto Rico Tip-Off.

Also, after being the odd man out in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge last season, Tech will travel to Northwestern early this season to represent the ACC.

Tech will also take part in the Legends Classic this season, and the team will play University of Texas at El Paso to open the championship round. In the next round, Tech could face either the University of Michigan or Syracuse.

Some of the other notable out-of-conference games for the Jackets this season include a game at Siena and home games against UGA and Charlotte.

Women’s Tennis announces new assistant coach

Former Tech tennis player Alison Silverio Witsken has been named assistant coach for the women’s tennis team after spending three seasons as an assistant coach for N.C. State.

Prior to coaching the Wolfpack, she worked as a Team Witsken Professional Tennis Instructor from 2007 until Jan. of 2008.

Silverio Witsken was named the Most Valuable Player of the 2007 NCAA Tournament after leading Tech to the NCAA Championship.

Silverio Witsken was also named to the ACC All-Tournament Team in 2005 and 2007 and was named ACC Tournament Most Valuable Player in 2005.

Allen selected to watch list for Doak Walker Award

Tech senior B-back Anthony Allen has been named to the watch list for the 2010 Doak Walker Award.

The award, in its 21st year, is named for SMU’s three-time All-American running back Doak Walker.

It is the only major collegiate award that requires all candidates to be in good academic standing and on schedule to graduate within one year of other students of the same classification.

With former B-back Jonathan Dwyer leaving the program for the NFL, Allen will start this season at B-back after having an impressive season as an A-back.

Allen rushed for 618 yards on 64 carries in 2009, averaging a remarkable 9.7 yards per carry. Allen ran for six touchdowns last season and also hauled in one touchdown pass.