Basketball team receives transfer

Former Whitefield Academy guard Brandon Reed will be joining Tech’s basketball team next season. Reed played his first year of college basketball at Arkansas State, but he has decided to transfer closer to home.

Reed attended Whitefield Academy in Mableton, Ga. and made a name for himself by leading the Wolf Pack to their second ever state championship. Following his stellar senior season where he led his team in scoring, Reed had scholarship offers from high-profile teams such as Auburn and LSU.

In spite of those offers, Reed chose to attend ASU where he would be assured of significant playing time as a freshman.

Reed’s decision turned out to be a good one because he was named Sun Belt Conference Freshman of the Year. Reed led the Red Wolves in scoring at 15.1 points a game and broke a 38-year-old school mark for points scored by a freshman. Reed was also named to all-district teams by the National Association of Basketball Coaches and the United States Basketball Writers of America.

However, Reed decided to leave his success at ASU and join a program closer to home. There were three suitors, but Reed chose to play for Head Coach Paul Hewitt’s team.

“Once I got my release from Arkansas State, Paul Hewitt called [my high school coach], and he asked what he would have to do to recruit me. [My high school coach] gave coach Hewitt my dad’s phone number and it went on from there. Clemson was in there, Georgia Tech and the University of Tennessee. I chose Georgia Tech because of the academics and the great tradition of guards,” Reed said.

Reed’s transfer to Tech means that he will be playing for a big-time college team and that he will return home to play in front of his friends and family.

“It’s going to be an incredible feeling being back home and playing for a team that’s right where I grew up. I am really looking forward to it,” Reed said.

All the excitement of changing schools, coming back home and playing ACC basketball does come with one drawback. Because of NCAA rules, Reed will be forced to sit out this upcoming basketball season.

“They are going to keep me in the gym as much as possible. I know it’s going to be hard because I am going to want to play, but I also know I can use that time to get better. I am going to spend a lot of time in the weight room to get bigger, and I am going to refine my skills everyday in practice. I am going to push the guys, and hopefully we can win this year,” Reed said.

Working hard should not be a problem for Reed as he has excelled at every level of his basketball career, but when Reed plays again, he will be playing against the likes of UNC and Duke.

“I’m never nervous. Being nervous won’t get you anywhere. It will be kind of weird because I’m used to seeing those teams on TV, but it’s going to be a dream come true playing against those guys and trying to help Georgia Tech win,” Reed said.