Three Jackets place at NCAA Championship

Three members of Tech’s track team competed in the NCAA Outdoor Championships this past week, traveling to Eugene, Ore. on June 9 to kick-off the four-day event. Seniors Alphonso Jordan and Steve Marcelle finished out their careers with quality performances, with Jordan finishing eighth overall in the triple jump and Marcelle coming in at No. 13 in the shot put. Sophomore Bianca Stewart was also competing for the Jackets, finishing No. 15 in the high jump.

Jordan, who qualified for the event with a jump of 54 feet and four inches in the NCAA East Region Championships, earned All-American honors for his eighth place finish.

“We are very proud of Alphonso, not only for what he accomplished this afternoon, but for all that he has accomplished during his career,” men’s Head Coach Grover Hinsdale said in an interview with .

Marcelle’s No. 13 place finish came on a throw of 58 feet,6.75 inches, over a foot shorter than his qualifying throw of 59 feet, 10.5 inches. The senior ends his career as Tech’s all-time leader in shot put.

Stewart’s finish was also just short of her qualifying performance, as she posted a mark of five feet, 7.75 inches to share the No. 13 spot. Her qualifying effort, a jump of five feet, 10 inches, was a career-best.