Sports Shorts

Sophomore quarterback Jaybo Shaw, who was slated to be the main backup to junior Josh Nesbitt, broke his collarbone last Saturday during a scrimmage. Shaw could be ready to return in six to eight weeks, which would have him back on the field in October.

With Shaw out, redshirt freshman Tevin Washington takes over as the second-string quarterback. There has been talk that Shaw may be redshirted because of Washington’s strong play in practice, but Head Coach Paul Johnson claimed it is too early to speculate on how the Jackets will ultimately handle the situation.

Shaw played in seven games last season and had 321 passing yards, 200 rushing yards, and five total touchdowns. He is the only quarterback on the team aside from Nesbitt who has any game experience.

Men’s basketball freshman Kammeon Holsey had surgery last week on his torn right ACL and will miss the 2009-10 season. He tore the ligament while playing basketball in a local summer league at the start of the month.

Holsey, a 6-foot-8 power forward, was named the Georgia Class A Player of the Year after leading Hancock Central High to the state championship in 2009. He was expected to see time as a reserve forward for the Jackets this season.