Women’s tennis falls to No. 7 Baylor

The No. 4 ranked women’s tennis team continued its season at home on Sunday as the Jackets hosted No. 7 Baylor. Baylor is the fourth top-10 team that Tech has faced so far this year. The Bears lead the all-time series over the Jackets 3-2 and have won the last meeting between the two 6-1 on March 23, 2006 in Waco Texas.

Baylor opened the day by taking two of the three doubles matches to give them an early 1-0 lead. The lone doubles win on the day for Tech came by senior Christy Striplin and sophomore Noelle Hickey as they downed Lenka Broosova and Csilla Borsanyi 8-6.

The No. 5 ranked duo of junior Amanda McDowell and freshman Irina Falconi lost their match 8-4 as in addition to sophomore Sasha Krupina and freshman Lynn Blau dropping theirs 8-5.

Irina Falconi evened up the score in singles play 1-1 after defeating Taylor Ormond 6-1, 6-0. The Bears took the lead again after McDowell dropped her match to Broosova 6-4, 6-4. Hickey won a second match on the day and evened the score up once again 2-2 after taking a victory in the third set over Borsanyi 6-7, 6-3, 6-2. Baylor then took the next two matches to clinch the victory.

Krupina lost her match at position five to Nina Secerbegovic 6-4, 6-4, and Striplin dropped hers in a third set to Jelena Stanivuk 6-2, 6-7 (11-13), 6-2. In the final match of the day, freshman Viet Ha Ngo fought with Kasia Siwosz after splitting sets 4-6, 6-4. The match would be determined by a tiebreaker for the third set. Ngo fell just short to Siwosz (13-11) as the final score ended in Baylor’s favor 5-2.

The Jackets will continue on with the season at home tomorrow against No. 10 Miami. Miami will be Tech’s second ACC matchup after losing the opener to Clemson last week. Tech’s third ACC match will come against Florida State on Sunday.

The Jackets will continue their season through spring break with key matches against Notre Dame and in-state rival UGA. The rivalry game will take place on March 19 in Athens. The Jackets will continue their ACC schedule afterwards facing UVA and Virginia Tech.