Softball swept by N.C. State

The softball team struggled this past weekend as they were swept by NC State in a three-game series.

The first game was a steady, neck-and-neck game until the Jackets gave up six runs in the fifth. Senior Aileen Morales showed up to the plate in full swing. She shot a two-run homer to initiate a lead.

Senior pitcher Whitney Humphreys exited the game in the fourth after allowing the opposition to tie up the game. Freshman Emily Schreck came in to relieve her. She was not able to beat away the opposition easily in the fifth. In fact, the Wolfpack took the advantage with a walk-in run, hit-by-pitch and a series of three crucial hits.

The Jackets attempted a rally later in the game. Senior Brittany Barnes was successful with hitting the ball to score in Savannah Brown. However, Barnes was thrown out trying to stretch the play into a double.

The two teams brought a tough defensive performance in the second game which began as a pitcher’s duel. Whitney Humphreys pitched a complete game and fanned out five players.

The Jackets’ bats had a tough time connecting with the ball as they had five hit-less innings. Nevertheless, Morales broke through the pitches and easily maneuvered around the bases, scoring on a grounder by Christy Jones. But there was not enough support from the offense in the second game. Humphreys took the loss after giving up five earned runs and six hits.

The Jackets tried to give it their all in the final game of the series. The Jackets made it happen in the second beginning with a single by Barnes, a walk by Blair Shimandle and a reach-on-error by Whitney Haller. This led up to an amazing performance by Jessica Weaver, who delivered a huge two-run single. However, the glory was halted when the Jackets were struck out on the side.

As the Tech defense stepped it up, Christy Jones attempted a diving catch to prevent the ball from leaving the playing field. Barnes tied up the game with a launcher beyond the fence for her seventh homer of the season. Weaver showed another stellar performance with a solo blast and her seventh home-run of the season.

The Jackets continued to hold on to the lead with high momentum and above-par defensive plays. Savannah Brown extended the Jackets’ lead with a bases loaded, two-run single. The senior catcher now holds the ACC season and career records in RBI’s.

Despite the lead, the Jackets gave up another six-run inning to allow the Wolfpack to take the sweep. Schreck pitched a complete game but also gave up nine runs, 12 hits and 2 walks.