Football staff announced

Head Coach Paul Johnson: After coaching Navy to a 45-29 record in the last six seasons, success the Academy had not seen since the 70s, Johnson becomes the 12th coach in Tech history. Johnson also hopes to bring a unique offense to Tech this next season. Through his offensive coaching career, which spans Georgia Southern (twice), University of Hawaii and Navy, Johnson has used the triple-option offense. One thing is for sure with Johnson at Tech; the offense will score points. Navy has ranked at or near the top of the rankings in rushing offense and pass efficiency and scoring offense. While the yards may not come often through the air, the passing game is just as important in Johnson’s offense as the ground game. Johnson has won two national championships, both at Georgia Southern, and has won several national coaching awards during his tenure, including 2004’s Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year.

Quarterbacks/B-Backs Coach Brian Bohannon: Bohannon has been a part of Johnson’s coaching staff since Johnson became the head coach at Georgia Southern. Since 1997, Bohannon has coached wide receivers every year with the exception of 2000-01 when he coached defensive backs. During the 2000 season, his secondary ranked 18th in the nation in pass defense and had 16 interceptions. The following season, the Southern secondary ranked second overall in pass defense. At Tech, Bohannon will coach quarterbacks and B-backs, a variant of the fullback position.

Wide Receivers Coach Buzz Preston: Preston has spent several years as an assistant coach. He started his coaching career as a graduate assistant with the University of Hawaii and has since had extended stints at Southern Illinois, Hawaii, Washington State, Stanford and Notre Dame. Preston has coached wide receivers and running backs during his time at other schools. At Tech, Preston will coach the split wide receivers.

Slot Backs/Special Teams Coach Jeff Monken: Monken has coached with Johnson since Johnson started as head coach at Georgia Southern in 1997. Monken coaches the slot backs, or A-backs, a triple option variant of the running back position. At Tech, Monken will coach the slot backs as well as the special teams. Monken coached special teams at Navy in 2006-07.

Co-offensive Line Coach Mike Sewak: Sewak is one of two offensive line coaches that Johnson will employ this year. Sewak has experience under Johnson’s system as well as experience as a head coach. Sewak coached at Tech for a year in 1984 as a graduate assistant and spent years at Hawaii before moving to Georgia Southern and coaching under Johnson for five years. He then took over as head coach at Southern. As head coach, Sewak had a record of 35-14 before getting fired. At Tech, Sewak will focus on the center and guard positions.

Co-offensive Line Coach Todd Spencer: Spencer coached at Oregon State before his 11 year stint at Navy. He has spent every year since 1989 as an offensive line coach. He helped Navy’s offensive line lead the way for their high powered rushing attack under Johnson’s triple-option offense. At Tech, Spencer will focus on coaching the tackle positions.

Defensive Coordinator Dave Wommack: Wommack has had success in the past at Southern Mississippi and Arkansas as their defensive coordinators. There are many similarities between Wommack’s and former defensive coordinator Jon Tenuta’s blitz-friendly defense. At Tech, Wommack will call the defensive plays and coach the defense.

Defensive Line Coach/Recruiting Coordinator Giff Smith: Smith is one of the three coaches held over from the former group. Smith has had great success in recruiting and knows the state of Georgia and areas close by well enough for Johnson to recognize his ability. He has also had great success coaching the defensive line, Tech’s defensive strength over the last few seasons.

Linebackers Coach Brian Jean-Mary: Jean-Mary will enter his fifth season as Tech’s linebackers coach. Jean-Mary has coached several players, including Gerris Wilkinson, KaMichael Hall and Phillip Wheeler, to all-conference teams. Tech’s linebackers have developed great blitzing skills and will likely do the same in Wommack’s defense.

Cornerbacks Coach Charles Kelly: Over the last two seasons, Kelly turned around one of the worst special teams defenses into one of Tech’s strengths. In 2006, Tech ranked last in kickoff coverage. Last season, Tech ranked second. Kelly previously served as defensive coordinator at Jacksonville State.