The best of midnight snacks

Photo by Dani Sisson Student Publications

There is no worse feeling than being hungry at midnight. Sure, you could fix up instant ramen in your dorm or Uber Eats fast food to your apartment, but sometimes, we just aren’t in the right state of mind to do these things, especially when it’s the weekend… if you know what I mean…

As a certified midnight snacker and a self-proclaimed foodie, I have compiled a list of my favorite late-night, walkable food options. 

Saving the best for last, these restaurants will quickly satisfy your hunger, are relatively affordable and  most importantly, map out to be at most a seven-minute walk from 5th Street Bridge.

5. Insomnia Cookies

I was honestly really struggling to decide whether Insomnia should go last or move up a spot. 

Ultimately, I decided that since you can really only buy cookies (duh), it would be unfair to rank it any higher. 

Open until 1 a.m., Insomnia Cookies are pretty solid and reasonably priced, especially if you split a box with friends.

P.S. I heard Insomnia Cookies does free delivery?

4. Waffle House

I hope I do not lose all my credibility, but… I have not been to Tech Square’s Waffle House yet.

I grew up in Georgia, so obviously I have been to a waho, but every single time I’ve had any sort of urge to go to Tech Square’s location, the long, bustling line discourages me and I turn back. If you’re a breakfast-for-dinner type of person and have the patience to wait in line, this is the perfect late night snack spot and they’re open 24/7!

Disclaimer: Tech Square’s Waffle House sometimes just closes whenever it feels like it…

3. Sweet & Fresh

Upon my arrival at Tech last year, I heard so many things about Sweet & Fresh. Some people said it was crusty. Some said the food and drinks were surprisingly good. Some said the employees were mean and scary. Some even said they felt sick after.

I can attest that all of these things are true. 

Sweet & Fresh is quite literally the opposite of sweet and fresh. However, I rank them third because their food was oddly comforting and tasted great (but also like, anything fried tastes great). Even though the cashiers will stare you down and suck out your soul if you take too long to order, everything at Sweet & Fresh is super reasonably priced, and they’re open until 3 a.m.

2. Taco Bell

Speaking of foods that might make you sick after you eat them…

You will absolutely blow up the bathroom afterwards, but nothing hits more than a Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Tacos Supreme with a side of Cinnabon Delights at 12 a.m. 

Also, I love having the freedom of quickly placing an order on a kiosk and leaving with my food (and a billion hot sauce packets) in a matter of minutes.

1. Halal Guys

Finally, first on my list is Halal Guys. 

I feel like most people forget that we have one so close to campus, but because of this, the lines are not too long, you receive your food as soon as you order and every single item is delicious. 

Halal Guys is open until 1 a.m. on the weekends, and I have yet to come across a rude employee. This is the option that doesn’t make you feel gross or sad afterwards.

I hope this list helps you decide where to eat the next time you’re hungry and tired. Remember to stay with a group and be weary of your surroundings if you are planning on midnight snacking!