Sexism in sports

Photo by Casey Gomez, Student Publications

It is no secret that the world of sports is a multi-billion dollar industry fueled by fans who show unwavering support from all over the world. So why is it that when I go to see a National Women’s Soccer League game there is only on average 4,000 people in attendance? 

These same players play for the United States Women’s National Team that has won 4 World Cups and 4 Olympic gold medals. These are the same women who according to Fox Sports had the highest viewership across genders for a soccer game aired on English Language television at a whopping 20 million viewers during the 2015 Women’s World Cup Finals. Locationally, at least for the National Women’s Soccer League, most of the teams are placed in large markets that have a pre-existing male team that has shown success with ticket sales.

As soccer viewership in the United States is growing, expanding teams across the country is the natural next step. Atlanta United is so popular around this city, there are talks about adding a women’s team in the near future. This seems to be in the works for 2021 or 2022. It is our duty to not only help build the fanbase and welcome them home but to back them with as many fans who are equally as “Rowdy and proud” as the male team’s supporters are. As our name states, we are Atlanta United not Atlanta divided by gender.

This gender bias in sports happens at every level, not just on the professional or national stage. As the Photo Editor for the Technique, I find a line at the door for baseball, football and men’s basketball press passes but hear crickets when trying to find people to cover any women’s sport on campus even if the event occurs at the same exact time of day directly across the street from the other event. This is disappointing as often our women’s teams perform just as well, if not better, than their male counterparts. As of this writing, Tech Women’s basketball has a 9-8 record while the men are sporting 7-9. Supporting the teams on campus is a great way to dip your toes into the world of high skill female sports. Low cost, low commitment, guaranteed fun and often times free t-shirts.

Take the opportunity to explore the sports that campus has to offer. We have rugby, hockey, tennis, track, swimming and a multitude of other club and division one sports. Most importantly, show the ladies in white and gold you care. It has been long overdue. Go Jackets!