Persevering through Tech’s toughness

Does anyone else remember the child-like awe that you had prior to coming to this place called Tech? I know that I do. Back in my senior year of high school, I began the search for my place in higher learning. I didn’t necessarily understand the impact of this decision on my life, but I was aware that this was a decision I should think carefully over.

After many months, a deferral and finally an acceptance, I realized that I would be attending the Georgia Institute of Technology. Those next few months were filled with pride and accomplishment; I knew that I had made a good decision no matter how difficult Tech would prove to be. The fact that I got accepted meant that someone somewhere on this campus believed that I was capable of doing great things at this school, and they felt that way about everyone here.  To this day I have made it a personal goal to try and prove that person right, wherever they may be.

I still have days where I reflect over this thought and appreciate both the fact that I am able to be here and that I have almost made it through my third year. Over time, I have found that these reflections are imperative to my motivation.

I want to help everyone renew the same awe in their life.   Fall back in love with this school and really take a second to realize how awesome it is to be a part of this place.

That doesn’t mean that I am not aware of the constant struggle that this school can be. The perpetual work, the competitive environment and our own past successes generally stress all of us out at least occasionally. It happens. They told all of us that this school was never going to be easy. Even after being warned, we may have underestimated just how difficult Tech was going to be, and when everything seems to be going south it can be fairly easy to let the stress overwhelm us.

It is during times like these that I remember the words of “Twin Peak’s” Dale Cooper: “I’m going to let you in on a little secret: everyday, once a day, give yourself a present.” Cooper explains how the present should be unplanned, but happy enough to actually make your day.

These presents can be anything from the cup of coffee in the show to a Surrito from Bento Bus or a quick break from studying to play a game or watch a quick episode of your favorite show. All of these are perfect presents to yourself; I personally use it as a reward for getting through almost every assignment. I will treat myself to something I normally don’t get on the average day, just so I can feel some greater sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.

I personally guarantee that after you get used to this system, you will have a greater appreciation for all the small things.

Why not treat yourself today? It doesn’t take getting an A on every test, or completely reorganizing your life. It can be as simple as remembering to do laundry before running out of clean underwear.