Fearlessness only way to face challenges at Tech

This year has been an incredible journey for the nearly 100 members of the SGA. We were able to successfully implement wide-scale initiatives that will have a lasting effect on Yellow Jackets for years to come. While I would love nothing more than to take this opportunity to list our many accomplishments, I find it more prudent to reflect on a simple lesson that I have learned that Tech has taught me. The lesson is simple, but true. It is that Tech eliminates your fear of failure.
When I first stepped into my role as student body president, I was paralyzed with fear. I was afraid that the many promises made during the campaign season would never come to fruition. I liken this apprehension to a freshman’s first Calculus exam. She is clearly capable of succeeding or she wouldn’t have made it to Tech, but she just cannot be 100 percent certain of the stones the test will throw her way. My grandmother used to say, “success is taking the rocks life throws at you and building a firm foundation.” So, just like the freshman frightened by the possibility of failure, I dove feet first into my role.
The first thing I did was reach out to the best and brightest students across campus to join my team. While managing such high achievers seemed daunting, I knew that SGA and the Tech’s students deserved leadership with an unbridled commitment to excellence. One thing I know for certain is that Brenda Morales, Jimmy Williams, Kaitlyn Whiteside, Brooke McDaniel, Brad Bauerkemper, John Semmens, Matlock Rogers, Austen Edwards and Elle Creel possess just that. They have a true desire to enrich our Tech community, and for that I am truly grateful. The many accomplishments that the SGA achieved this year have been because of their unparalleled leadership.
As I grew into my role I was continually reminded of why I initially ran for this position. Each day I met new students whose abilities were nothing short of inspirational. No other school is home to 13,000 such unique students. Hearing these stories eliminated my fear of the challenges that I faced. It empowered me to work harder than ever to provide my peers with effective representation. I learned that I had no time to waste worrying about things that I can not change, but that I had to act on those things that I could. In many ways, I believe that Tech is designed to teach us that. The copious amounts of assignments, the projects and tests are designed to teach us to look beyond the challenges or “rocks” that are thrown our way and focus on the opportunities.
Leaving my role as Undergraduate Student Body President is a very bittersweet moment for me. On one hand, I am moving to the next step in my life. I’ll never have to take any more exams, and I’ll never have to worry about being late for a class. On the other hand, I am leaving behind a life changing experience.
Being charged to represent the student body of an internationally ranked university is an awesome responsibility—one that can hardly be put into words. So, students of Tech, alumni, administrators, faculty and staff: thank you for making the 2010-2011 school year one of the best years of my life.
Thank you for making it one of the most productive years for the Student Government Association.
Good luck to each of you, and most importantly: To HELL With Georgia!