Hot or Not

What is HOT and what is NOT at Tech this week.

It was a great day for Tech sports as Derrick Favors and Gani Lawal were selected in the NBA Draft last week. The downside is that the two star forwards will not be taking the court for Tech in the upcoming season, but both have bright futures ahead in the pros. Now, former Tech star Chris Bosh will look to find a nice home (maybe alongside LeBron?) as NBA free agency takes the spotlight.

It is unfortunate, but crime on and around campus remains an issue. The continued troubles should simply serve as a reminder to continue to take extra precautions these days, particularly after sunset, and to generally exercise discretion on campus at all times. It is, after all, for our own safety; nobody would want to end up as the subject of the latest story about a robbery or a mugging in a shady area.

After sophomore Irina Falconi held the No. 1 ranking in NCAA women’s tennis for practically the entire season, she was rewarded with the ITA National College Player of the Year award. Falconi won one national title in the fall and came just shy of winning a second, and she lost only one match during the spring (dual match) season. She was, by all accounts, unstoppable.

Landon Donovan’s last-minute heroics against Algeria led the U.S. soccer team into the knockout stage of the World Cup. Any dreams of a magical run to the title were quashed quickly, though, as Ghana knocked off the U.S. 2-1. It’s a sad ending, but eight teams remain alive for those who have not had enough of vuvuzelas, bicycle kicks and, of course, flopping.