Letters to the Editor

As a huge fan of the Yellow Jackets, I wanted to quickly make the student body and all fans reading The Technique aware of what Wake Forest has done. As many of you are aware, the football team likes to wear white jerseys when playing in Bobby Dodd Stadium.

What you may not know is that Georgia Tech must get a wavier from the visiting school to wear the white jerseys typically reserved for the away team. Wake Forest has refused to sign this wavier.

They have decided to slap us in the face in our own stadium. I say that you voice your anger this Saturday and yell as loud as your body will physically allow and make them regret that they wore white in our house.

Levi Warner

First-year AE

Your endorsement piece on Reed for this upcoming mayoral election is erroneously flawed.

It costs the city of Atlanta approximately 11 million dollars for 50 police officers. The 750 police officers he wants is not financially reasonable. Poor vision on his part.

Second, the last thing we need is a continuation of the corruption that has plagued Atlanta politics for years. Reed was Shirley’s campaign manager for both races which helped his brother, Tracy, get a job in the city working for Contract Compliance. He is already on the record saying he would not fire him if he became mayor! A recipe for nepotism.

The entire Technique staff has failed the alumni and the student body for such a poor endorsement.

Gary Anderson

I read your article in the Technique and I really liked it.

This is my last year of college and I have been looking back, noticing how I have changed, and your article furthered my nostalgic spirit.

Case in point, I have started semi-seriously dating an Asian girl and in explaining some of the simple details of Vietnamese culture to my parents and friends from home has really given me a retrospective look at the knowledge of different cultures, creeds, ethnicities, races and religions that I have gained as a result of most of my friends not being the same as me, something I only have recently realized.

This differs so much from high school when my graduating class was under 20 kids just like me. That’s not a typo. I just went to really small private school.

I came to Tech wanting a great education in engineering, but I got a great education in cultures, societies and religions. I am not sure what year you are, who your friends are, or where you hang out, but you are missing an important point.

Five years ago I would have completely agreed knowing what goes on in Pakistan is what being a Global Citizen is all about.

Who cares what goes on in Pakistan? Knowing doesn’t do anything to change it and chances are it won’t affect you.

Even if the U.S. goes to war with Pakistan, it will be just like Iraq. How has Iraq affected you? The worst situation: someone close to you dies. While a tragedy, for the majority of America this will never come to be.

What does make you a Global Citizen is understanding the people who constitute the other countries surrounding you.

What I am saying is, even more than a piece of land, a country is a group of people. Understanding those people is your best bet at avoiding negative events (like war) with those people ergo eliminating your need to ever read about such events.

I will agree that moving outside of that ‘Tech bubble’ is key, but taking advantage of the vast amount of diversity while in it is key to becoming a global citizen.

Just like the best way to learn a foreign language is to go to a country where that language is naively spoken, the best way to become a global citizen is to have a variety of foreign friends.

George Melcer

Fifth-year CMPE