HOT or NOT

What’s Hot and Not around campus.

With the beginning of the fall semester comes the much anticipated and never underrated free food bonanza. From rushing through the fraternity houses to the first meetings of the semester of nearly every club on campus, if students pay for a meal this week, they are simply not trying hard enough. Besides, most of these event are great ways to meet new, albeit sometimes overly interesting, people.

It is an embarrassment for any member of the Tech campus to be associated in any way with child pornography. If this incident involving associate professor Al-Khayyal turns out to be a gross misunderstanding, an outcome which is most preferred, then we hope all the best for the professor. However, if the allegations turn out to be true, then it must be made clear that there is no place for such actions at Tech.

U.S. News and World Report released their annual rankings. The institute held steady for a third consecutive year as the No. 7 public school in the nation, and 35th overall. Both ME and EE jumped up a spot in their respective categories. The College of Engineering also jumped up a spot to fourth in the nation tied with Illinois and Caltech. While the rankings should not define Tech, they are an affirmation of Tech’s success.

On Tuesday the Board of Regents decided to mandate six furlough days for most employees under the University System, including faculty. It is disappointing that the regents, who initially decided to leave the ability of using furloughs with the presidents of the schools, decided to mandate this action for all universities and colleges. In the future, refraining from monthly shifts in policy would be preferred from the board.