Letters to the Editor

Last spring I boycotted the Sting Break concert because it was $3 to get in.

The whole idea behind Sting Break is of a free concert for students, which is not really free since it is being paid for with money from the student activity fees.

I did not care for the bands, but if it were free, I would have gone since part of my student activity fees paid for it as well.

I could have cared less for those three dollars, but it is when they really count that it hurts.

I am already past the “Fixed for Four” so tuition going up is not new for me. I understand that times are tough and budget cuts are rising, but what hit me the most is paying $5 for each official copy of my transcripts.

This summer I need four copies of my transcripts, one for each internship that requested an official copy of my transcripts. That is a total of $20 for 12 sheets of paper.

According to Jeremy Gray with the office of the registrar, this policy was instated in the middle of spring break to not burden those who requested their transcripts in the fall.

He also said that this change was no different from our “peer institutions” in the state such as Georgia State. However, according to GSU, the first five transcripts are free and after they are $10 each.

I also consulted with Kennesaw State University and they told me that their first transcript is free of charge.

Lastly, the office of the registrar at the University of Georgia confirmed that each official transcript is $2.

With confidence, I would say that GA Tech charges its students the most for a copy of their transcripts than any of its peer institutions.

I agree with most budget cuts that the institute has to make, but something as trivial as an official copy of my transcripts should not cost me as much as a meal out of my budget.

Marian Alicea

Sixth-year CE

Time and again, issue after issue, there are constantly errors by the Technique’s staff especially in the Sports section. What kind of editors does the Technique have?

This level of ignorance just makes the Technique’s credibility dwindle even more.

For example, in the most recent issue, I saw three errors in the Sports section alone. Do any of you ever go to the sporting events?

At the least, make sure you (being the staff) at least log onto ramblinwreck.com to make sure you talk about the right athlete in the photo.

In this past issue, you have Tech swimmer April Dickerson swimming butterfly. Yet, the caption says that it’s a Tech swimmmer “breaststroking.”

Great attempt at using swimming lingo. If someone spent a few seconds on Google they would know that she is, in fact, not swimming breaststroke but butterfly.

As a Tech athlete on the swim team, it’s annoying and laughable that these types of errors occur.

I thought the Technique was one of the best college newspapers in the country? Maybe it’s just because many colleges just don’t have a newspaper.

To have these types of errors, which can easily be fixed by doing a little research, should be unacceptable and intolerable.

By reading the sports section one might confuse the Technique with a local high school attempt at a newspaper.

As if I haven’t made myself clear enough, here are two other errors that the Sports section had in the most recent issue.

Firstly, there is a picture of Sasha Krupina, a sophomore tennis player. Yet it says Lynn Blau. It’s really not that hard to go online and look up the rosters and match the picture with the player.

The other error is with the men’s tennis picture. That is Miguel Muguruza, not Doug Kenny. All in all, it is evident that you all spend little time on this section.

I am assuming that since you are on the school newspaper staff that you aspire to do something in this field?

Good luck trying to do that when these types of errors show up in many of your issues.

If you don’t do your research on these things such as sporting events, don’t write about them at all.

Your mistakes reflect poorly on the Technique and show how inept you are at writing about sports. It’s really not that hard to go to athletic events and learn about how sports are played.

Martin Gantt

Fourth-year BIO