OUR VIEWS: Consensus Opinion

Rec rebudgeted

The annual operating busdget for the Student Government Association (SGA) was passed this week after it went through a conference committee to resolve differences between the versions passed by the Undergraduate House of Representatives and the Graduate Student Senate.

Much of the budget requested by Tech Rec to fund renovations to the bowling lanes had been restored and passed in the final version.

These renovations will serve as a beneficial update to an area that attracts many potential students to campus. Over the past 30 years since the lanes were installed, the pin setters and scoring machines have fallen into complete disrepair. Tech Rec has been forced to close the lanes frequently, decreasing the center’s profits and turning off customers.

While it may be hard for student organization leaders who saw their own budget requests fail to rationalize the preference given to Tech Rec in the upcoming year’s budget, it is important to remember the truly campus-wide appeal of Tech Rec. It is unfortunate that SGA was forced to cut many organizations’ budgetary requests, but the budget is limited, and far more students will be affected by Tech Rec than by any single organization.

Alumni have been enjoying the center for decades, and it is the responsibility of each generation of students to ensure that the facilities remain functional well into the future. The allocation given to Tech Rec is a very reasonable price for the large benefit that the improvements will make. The increased revenue expected from the improvements will help pay back the students’ investment in hopefully as little as 13 years.

While the Undergraduate House’s efforts to trim the budget were commendable, the funds for Tech Rec can be considered money well spent. Students should look forward to the opportunity to use the improved facility in the future.

Sting success

This year’s Sting Break celebration, or Student Appreciation Day, was an impressive success. The event was relocated to the Burger Bowl, which while less central than the traditional location of Skiles, helped the overall feel of the event. The extra space afforded by the Burger Bowl helped accommodate the larger crowds drawn by Cartel and OK Go. The planning committee is to be congratulated for coordinating such a successful Sting Break, and many of the changes made this year should be looked into as potentially permanent enhancements to the event’s overall structure.