Kamala Harris accepts nomination at DNC

President Joe Biden addresses the convention on the first night, only weeks after he dropped out of the presidential race, leaving his vice president, Kamala Harris, as the presumptive nominee. // Photo courtesy of Matt Rourke AP Photo.

After a tumultuous month with President Biden dropping out of the race, Democrats came together at the Democratic National Convention to celebrate Vice President Kamala Harris taking up the party’s mantle. 

The first night ended with a nearly hour-long speech from Biden — one that, just a short time ago, would have coincided with his acceptance of his party’s nomination. Now, it represents a passing of the torch to Harris, who has revitalized Democratic enthusiasm and amassed record-breaking financial support. 

“She’ll be a president our children can look up to. She’d be a president respected by world leaders, because she already is. She’d be a president we can all be proud of. And she’d be a historic president who puts her stamp on America’s future,” Biden said. 

The sitting President not only echoed Democrats’ support for Harris but also their commitment towards beating Donald Trump. “Donald Trump calls America a failing nation,” Biden said. “He says we’re losing. He’s the loser.”

On the convention floor, the atmosphere was incredibly positive, according to Georgia delegate Avi Dhyani, who is a current student at Cornell University. “Ever since Biden dropped, there has been renewed energy within the party,” he said. “It felt like a giant party in celebration of all the work Democrats have done.” 

The remaining nights took the same celebratory tone. Former president Barack Obama, former first lady Michelle Obama, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Senate majority leader Chuck Schumer, former President Bill Clinton and others all spoke to the lively crowd, levying criticism against Trump while reiterating their support for Harris. 

“At many times it was really emotional on the floor because the individuals that came out and talked about their experiences — good or bad — really, I think, touched a lot of people,” said Jim Evangelista, a lawyer and delegate from Georgia. 

On the second-to-last night, vice presidential nominee Tim Walz took the stage, leaning into his experience coaching high school football and working as a teacher even more than his political career. “You know, when I was teaching, every year we’d elect a student body president. And you know what? Those teenagers could teach Donald Trump a hell of a lot about what a leader is. Leaders don’t spend all day insulting people and blaming others. Leaders do the work,” he said. 

When discussing his running mate, Walz outlined her priorities for the presidency. “If you’re a middle-class family, or trying to get into the middle class, Kamala Harris is going to cut your taxes,” he said. “And no matter who you are, Kamala Harris is going to stand up and fight for your freedom to live the life that you want to lead.” 

Much of his speech was a noticeable play to the more centrist wings of the Democratic party, a strategy that Harris adopted herself in her talk on the convention’s final night. “I see an America where we hold fast to the fearless belief that built our nation and inspired the world. That here, in this country, anything is possible. That nothing is out of reach,” she said. 

She explicitly directed her appeals to a wide range of voters. “And let me say, I know there are people of various political views watching tonight. And I want you to know, I promise to be a president for all Americans. You can always trust me to put country above party and self. To hold sacred America’s fundamental principles, from the rule of law, to free and fair elections, to the peaceful transfer of power,” she said.

The Democratic nominee did not shy away from criticizing Trump, though. “Donald Trump is an unserious man. But the consequences — but the consequences of putting Donald Trump back in the White House are extremely serious,” she said.

The crowd enthusiastically received the two nominees. “The empathy and kindness that both Harris and Walz show, is the same kind of empathy and caring that Joe Biden shows — and has showed — over his whole political career. They are the antithesis to Donald Trump,” said Evangelista. “This is an opportunity to reboot America, reboot our values, and remind America what we are all about as a nation.”

Notably, multiple Republicans spoke at the convention, including former Georgia lieutenant governor Geoff Duncan. “I think we’re fired up, I think the electorate is fired up, I think that people are certainly feeling better, and I’m really hopeful that the message we got from Geoff Duncan and Adam Kinzinger and a few others will sink in and give traditional conservatives and traditional Republicans the permission to vote Democrat maybe for the first time in their lives,” Evangelista said. 

Delegates felt that there was an optimism about Democrats’ electoral chances in Georgia, too. “I think we’re all feeling certainly better about it. And I think we have a real chance here,” Evangelista said

“I think Georgia is on everybody’s mind. The fact is, the path to victory is going to run through Georgia,” Dhyani said. “I think it’s crucial that we invest in this state, and we don’t take any vote for granted. And I am really looking forward to celebrating from Cornell on Nov. 6.”