The Institute plans for a brand-new housing facility

The Institute has on-campus student housing, such as North Avenue Apartments pictured above, but the introduction of the new housing plans will help to accommodate growing needs. // Photo by Tuna Ergan Student Publications

As of the last few years, the Tech community has grown exponentially. In tandem with the Institute’s blossoming global reputation, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of undergraduate applications and, as a result, acceptances. 

More specifically, according to a recent article published by Tech’s News Center, the 2022 application period is characterized by its record-breaking group of 50,568 hopeful first-year and transfer students. Out of that number, there were 5,131 admitted students.  

Though the interest Tech has accumulated from potential students is monumental, it also presents adverse effects, with the most prominent being limited on-campus residential spaces. In having so many freshmen and too few beds to accommodate for growing class sizes, many must scramble for housing. 

Thankfully, Tech is proactive about recent on-campus housing availability concerns. On Feb. 16, the Institute informed the community of plans to construct a new student residence hall.

According to an article published by Tech’s Campus News Site, “the new facility will be located on the west side of campus along Northside Drive between Eighth and Ninth streets. At an estimated $117,000,000 cost to construct, the nearly 191,000-square-foot residence hall will contain approximately 850 beds, which will aid in the housing of students who are relocated due to renovations on existing residence halls. Resident support spaces will include collaborative learning spaces, community lounges
and group kitchens.” 

This project is particularly exciting because it will be the first new on-campus residence hall since the construction of 10th and Home in 2005.  

Luoluo Hong, the Vice President for Student Engagement and Well-Being, commented on the need for such a facility. 

“On-campus housing is in high-demand among Georgia Tech students, so we are looking to expand the number of available beds to better meet the needs of our community. We know that research shows, particularly for undergraduate students, that being able to live on-campus is correlated with the number of positive outcomes people experience — such as feelings of belonging, academic success and high retention rates,” she said. 

Hong elaborated on how having access to on-campus housing cultivates an environment where the mental health and overall well-being of students is
placed at the forefront. 

“Some of the national research shows how, as a country, more and more adults report feelings of loneliness. This is true for college students as well. If we are able to provide a residential living experience where our staff and resources are invested in creating programs and activities that help to foster opportunities for connection and community-building, that makes our students feel like they belong. I think that is really critical to wanting to stay here at Tech,” Hong said. 

Grace Campiti, second-year IAML, agreed with Hong’s statements about the advantages that on-campus housing grants freshmen and transfer students. 

“As an out-of-state student, I believe living in a first-year residence hall was very helpful in helping me find an immediate community on campus. I was surrounded by people who were in the same situation as me — nervous and uneasy about being in a new setting — so everyone was very receptive to making new friendships,” Campiti said. 

“My best friends now are people that lived in my building last year. Although I never took advantage of the events hosted by the residence halls or the resident [assistants] (RAs). I am happy that more students will have the opportunity to experience the tight-knit community my dorm brought me,” she said. 

Rafaelle Geday, second-year IE and Campiti’s freshman and sophomore year roommate, expressed a similar sentiment. 

“Living in a residence hall definitely impacted my first year. Everyone felt very approachable — oftentimes, I just knocked on my hallmate’s doors. I always had people who were in the same situation as me and were there if I needed help. I met so many people who were in my classes because we’d be studying in the study rooms at the same time. Many of those people are still in my life despite no longer living in the same hall,” Geday said. 

The construction of this new building is one of the key components of a broader scheme initiated by the Institute for the next decade, the Comprehensive Campus Plan (CCP).

According to Tech’s website about the development, “[the CCP is] a living document that will inform how campus space can be utilized to support the growing and changing campus community for the next 10 years and beyond. Steeped in the Institute’s strategic plan and commitment to people, research and teaching, the CCP will demonstrate how Georgia Tech will lead and inspire by example in creating a roadmap for the sustainable development and management of the campus.” 

The plan details their intentions to create additional dorms, research and learning facilities and student recreation centers, all while maintaining
their current sustainability efforts and goals to improve the student experience. 

For more information on the new facility, refer to gatech.edu/news/2023/02/16/georgia-tech-moves-forward-plans-construct-new-student-housing