Todd Stansbury selected as Tech’s new Athletics Director

Photo courtesy of GT Communications

Tech announced its appointment of a new athletic director on Sept. 22, to replace Mike Bobinski after his acceptance of the athletic director position at Purdue University.

The new director, Todd Stansbury, is an alumnus of Tech and played linebacker for Tech football under coach Bill Curry.

Stansbury had previously worked for Tech as its assistant athletic director for academics from 1988 to 1995 under athletic director Homer Rice.

He is only the ninth athletic director in all of Tech’s history, and will take over full responsibility from interim director Paul Griffin after the end of the year.Stansbury was introduced last night, Sept. 23, at the football game versus Clemson. Before his appointment at Tech, Stansbury was the athletic director for Oregon State — a $2.15 million buyout — a position in which he had served for nearly a year following his three-year career as athletic director for the University of Central Florida.

Stansbury said he was “honored and humbled to have the opportunity to return to Georgia Tech, a place that has played such a large role in my life and the place responsible for opening up a world to me that I didn’t even know existed,” during the announcement.

Stansbury is a native of Canada who attended Tech after seeing a football practice on his way back from a road trip with his family, according to Georgia Tech Communications.

President G.P. “Bud” Peterson offered commentary on Stansbury’s appointment at the event, expressing Stansbury’s commitment to athletes’ success both on and off the field.

He also noted that “[Stansbury’s] global perspective and leadership experience in athletics and development, combined with a lifelong passion for Georgia Tech, make him the ideal candidate.”

“We welcome him home,” Peterson said.

Stansbury graduated from Tech in 1984 with a Bachelor’s of Sciences in Industrial
Management.

He played for the varsity football squad from 1980 to 1984 in both middle linebacker and special teams positions, and was drafted in the Canadian Football League’s third-round draft to play for the Saskatchewan Roughriders.