Tech ranks on US News and world, other lists

Photo by Ashleigh Bunch

The Princeton Review released the 25th Annual “Best Colleges” Guidebook earlier this month, ranking the 381 Best Schools in several categories, ranging from “Best Dining Halls” to “Best Pay Back.”

Tech tops several of the lists in the 2016–17 guidebook.

Students from the 381 best colleges across the nation were asked to rank their schools on multiple topics, and Tech students placed the Institute on seven of the lists.

Apart from being one of the “Best 381 Colleges,” Tech was among schools selected for “Best Southeastern  Colleges” and “Colleges That Pay You Back.”

Continuing the trend, Tech made the list of green colleges. Tech even came in at number 23 out of the top 50. The “Green Colleges” category is determined by students’ opinions of environmentally responsible policies and quality of life on campus.

In addition to high praise for the environmentalism of the Institute, Tech received recognition on two other noteworthy lists, ranking 20th for “Best Career Placement” and 25th for “Colleges that Pay You Back Without Aid.”

Of particular note is Tech’s absence from the Review’s “Least Happy Students” list. Montana Tech of the University of Montana topped the list, with the New Jersey Institute of Technology placing second.

U.S. News & World Report also released their annual Best Colleges Rankings of 2016 this month, with Tech upholding its status as the seventh best public university in America.

The U.S. News ranking system is based on a formula that factors in both the quantitative measures that educational experts have determined are clear indicators of collegiate academic prestige.

Tech made several strides in this year’s rankings, moving up from 36th to 34th “Best University Overall,” tying with Brandeis University, a private school in Waltham, Mass. Additionally, Tech moved up from 13th to 7th in “Most Innovative School” and from 30th to 21st out of “Best Colleges for Veterans.” The Scheller College of Business was named 32nd on the list of the “Best Undergraduate Business Programs.”

The College of Engineering was once again highly praised in the 2016 rankings, with all of the engineering programs being ranked in the Top 10 nationally and in the Top 5 for public universities.

The school also moved up from fifth to fourth in “Undergraduate Engineering.” The Industrial Engineering Department maintained the top spot for the 27th year in a row, and the Biomedical Engineering Department received a new honor in being named the No. 1 program in the country for the first time, up two spots from last year.

The Civil Engineering Department rose from third to second in the nation, while the Environmental Engineering program climbed to fourth best
program in the country.

On the increase in rankings, President G.P. “Bud” Peterson said, “Georgia Tech consistently strives for excellence in all areas, and we are delighted to see so many of our programs move up in U.S. News and World Report rankings this year. Our Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering is a stellar example of the power of collaboration, innovation and private and public support helping to create the No. 1 program in the nation.”