CoC recieves big increase in student enrollment

This academic year, the College of Computing is receiving a large increase in its Computer Science and Computational Media enrollment. Compared to last year, Computer Science enrollment has increased approximately 25% with over 300 more students. Also, Computational Media enrollment has increased by 65% compared to Fall 2011.

Many students understand that a high demand exists for skilled computationalists in today’s job market, and many students are searching for degrees in computational fields. Tech also has about 155 computer science minors for the current academic year.

If numbers continue to grow in major and minor enrollments under the College of Computing, the institute will consider hiring instructors to handle the demand.

“In the past few years we have hired additional instructors to handle the growth, not only in computing majors, but also in computing minors,” said Charles Isbell, Senior Associate Dean of the College of Computing and Professor in the School of Interactive Computing. “The Institute’s official numbers on student minors do not tell the whole story, because students are not required to declare a minor until just before they graduate.”

Despite the growing enrollment, the College of Computing will not receive any additional funding because the budgeting formula does not involve enrollment numbers, but the College plans to continue communication with the Institute for accommodations over time.

Isbell believes that Tech’s College of Computing stands out because the economy has an increasing need for people in computing skills and Tech’s rankings attract students on a national and international level.

The College of Computing is ranked 9th in the U.S. and by acknowledging its surrounding community, it has received increased attention in the marketplace. Many students see degrees from the College as beneficial additions to a resume.

“We are benefiting from a tremendous need for skilled computing talent, as more and more sectors of the economy rely on computing to drive business,” Isbell said. “It’s very hard to run a business in this day and age without an agile IT infrastructure, a web and social media presence or a connection to mobile computing. That being said, we like to think we do things pretty well in the College.”

Additionally, Isbell expressed gratitude to every student and faculty member involved in the College for the enrollment growth.

“We appreciate their energy and enthusiasm for computing, and we will do everything we can to provide them with the best possible computing education that any university can offer,” Isbell said.

“None of this would be possible without the commitment of our faculty,” Isbell said. “They truly care about the best undergraduate education. Our faculty are the biggest reason we are in the position we are.”