Campus services carnivale event expanding this year

Photo Courtesy of Melissa Moore

On March 4, Campus Services and departments involved in student life will be holding an event called Campus Services Loves Students Carnivale on the first and third floor of the student center, and it will be an expanded version of its initial debut last year. The event is expected to consist of entertainment, games, contests with prizes and discounts in Tech Rec.

“The format of Campus Services Loves Students Carnivale is patterned after Mardi Gras. This year, we are adding new stations at the event, including chair massages, a jazz band, a sustainability booth, basketball hoops and a Facebook contest station,” said Director of Communications for Campus Services, Melissa Moore. “We are also expecting some Georgia Tech VIPs at our Photo Booth, including…President Peterson.”

The event is funded by Campus Services and individual departments involved with student life, such as Housing, Dining, Stamps Health Services, Georgia Tech Bookstore, Parking & Transportation Services, the Student Center, BuzzCard and Communications, and other partners, such as Stamps Health Services Ambassadors and RHA, will be assisting with the event.

Moore says that these campus departments wish to give back to students and provide them with an exciting day, and the carnival will also provide information on what Campus Services offers to students.

“Campus Services Loves Students Carnivale is an event that’s first purpose is to reward and thank the students,” Moore said. “We want the students to have fun playing these carnival games and get prizes while learning about Campus Services and what it offers. Campus Services likes to make students’ lives easier and remind them all the ways that it helps.”

At the event, students are encouraged to relax and enjoy the different things campus services has to offer, and some students who have experience with Campus Services Loves Students Carnivale recommend seeing the event.

“Being a Georgia Tech student is no easy task and we find that students need to have fun as often as possible,” said Undergraduate Intern for Campus Services Communications, Natalie Otterson. “Campus Services Loves Students Carnivale aims to put students in a laidback atmosphere where they can play games, have fun and win prizes while learning about how Campus Services and its departments can help make life easier.”

Moore wants students who plan to attend the event to know that Campus Services offers a variety of help for students who live on campus, and she ensures that this program is way to spread that information in an exciting way.

“We want them to know what Campus Services does.” Moore said. “Campus Services is a part of student life from the food they pick up at the Student Center and dining halls to the BuzzCard that they use for so many things. It is difficult for Campus Services to make sure that every student knows everything that can help students, and there’s so many of these types of information tips that Campus Services tries to remind students from their freshman year throughout graduation.”

All students that swipe their Buzzcards will be entered in a raffle to draw for the following items: iPad Air, $1,000 Spring 2014 rent rebates, various amounts of Buzzcard deposits, discounts on parking permits, apparel and more.

Buzz will also be in attendance at the meeting to pose for photographs with students.