Summer construction projects

Although construction across campus this summer will be lighter than it has in the more recent summer semesters, students, faculty and staff can still expect some closures and delays in certain areas around campus.

The goal for most of these projects during the summer months is to get as much work done as possible with the least amount of inconvenience for everyone on campus, which occurs during the fall semester from an increase of people moving around campus.

Bobby Dodd Steam Line Replacement

Phase 3 of continuing a steam line replacement project in Bobby Dodd that was part way done. This construction is being done to replace the steam line pipe in Bobby Dodd from Fowler to Williams Street while also improving the storm drainage in the street and completing streetscape work in this area.

The project was started in February and is set for completion by September 2013 before the first home football game. Techwood Drive will be open for the remainder of the summer, but Bobby Dodd Way, Fowler Street and Brittain Drive NW are all closed to through traffic. Peters Parking Deck will remain unaffected by construction and still be open.

CRC Stamps Fields Renovation Project

On Monday, a large portion of the work on the Stamps Roe Field began with the removal of the turf, influx of construction equipment and the mount of construction fencing around the fields so that the original fencing could be removed and replaced. The fields will be closed for the summer through August 2013 for an extensive renovation project which will leave all parts of the fields drastically improved upon completion.

Glenn and Towers Residence Halls Utility Relocation Work

Utility Relocation work has been in progress from January up until now in preparation for renovations in consecutive years of both Towers and Glenn Residence Halls. This work has included underground utility construction in the streets and sidewalks along 3rd Street, Williams Street and Techwood Drive between North Avenue and Bobby Dodd Way.

Towers will be the first to undergo renovation out of the two and will be closed throughout the 2013-2014 year with Glenn going under renovation after that.

Engineered Biosystems Building (EBB) Construction

The construction of the EBB building at Peachtree Place will provide a new and massive amount of multidisciplinary research space in response to the expansion of Tech’s research enterprise and will be relocating and integrating faculty and students from the colleges of science and engineering.

This won’t cause many road closures or delays during the summer but may leave State Street only accessible to pedestrians very infrequently. The project started construction earlier this year and is set for completion around December 2014.