Long named Dean of College of Arts and Sciences at Ga. State

The Sam Nunn School of International Affairs will bid farewell to one of its longest-tenured faculty members starting in the fall. Georgia State University (GSU) announced on May 18 that William Long, the current INTA School Chair at Tech, will be GSU’s new Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Long will formally enter his new role on Aug. 8. He leaves Tech after spending 10 years as the INTA Chair and 20 years as a member of the Tech faculty.

As he joined the School in 1991 and became Associate Chair two years later, Long’s main goal was to expand the presence of Tech’s INTA program. Under Long’s guidance, the number of INTA faculty members increased by over 50 percent.

“My objective…was to build a School of International Affairs of national and international repute…that contributes fully to the research and service mission of the Institute,” Long said.

Part of Long’s vision was the development of INTA graduate programs. Over his time at Tech, the INTA department added both masters and doctoral degrees.

“I am pleased that the School has added a Ph.D. program to its educational offerings, grown its undergraduate programs and vastly expanded its research profile over the past decade,” Long said.

Looking back at his tenure, Long pointed to the moment in 1996—when the department’s first graduate program was established—as a major step for the INTA department. It was the same year that Sen. Nunn gave his name to the School.

Long also highlighted two awards (for a combined $3.1 million) provided by the MacArthur foundation since 2003 to fund programs in science, technology and international security as a symbol of the School’s progress.

“These programs are hallmarks of the School’s mission,” Long said. “They have helped to create a community of scholars and students at Georgia Tech interested in this diverse field while bringing substantial recognition to the School and Institute.”

“As Dean, I hope to raise the College’s research profile and recognition, enhance the undergraduate learning experience and contribute to the internationalization of [GSU],” Long said.

Long’s colleagues at Tech anticipate that he will achieve similar progress at GSU.

“We are certain that [GSU’s] College of Arts and Sciences will prosper under his leadership,” said INTA Associate Chair and Professor Brian Woodall.

As he moves forward, Long, who continued to teach introductory INTA courses while serving as Chair, said he will miss the students he taught while at Tech.

“They are smart, hard working, and very deserving and it has been a pleasure to work with them for 20 years,” Long said.