11/19/2010: News Briefs

Tech awarded grant for microneedle patch

The Institute, along with Emory University and PATH, a nonprofit organization, received a $10 million grant to develop a microneedle vaccine patch to be used for flu and other vaccinations. The patches would provide a painless way for users to self-administer flu vaccinations. Researches believe that the patches would greatly increase the number of people receiving vaccinations annually, especially among the more susceptible populations of children and the elderly.
Researchers have also learned that administering the vaccines through microneedle patches elicits a slightly different type of immune response, one that they believe may better protect vaccine recipients. Design and development of the microneedle patches will take place at Tech while trials of the vaccinations will be employed at Emory University.

COA releases 3D Campus Environment

The COA’s Imagine Lab and Tech’s Library and Information Center showcased a demo of an interactive, virtual environment of Tech’s campus on Nov. 16. The event gave the Tech community an opportunity to express possibilities for a future virtual Tech.
Organizers of the event envision an interactive, multiplayer virtual world where the Tech community can attend and participate in live or past discussion and navigate through virtual classrooms and labs that show student work and experience real-time research projects.