Tech Square Waffle House opens

Tech students will have a new option for fast food with the opening of the late-night breakfast chain, Waffle House. The location, inside of Tech Square, opened on June 9 at 9 a.m. There were several patrons waiting to get in right before business was set to open for the very first time.

The restaurant chain had announced the opening of a new location at the beginning of last year.

While the chain has over 1.600 locations, there are several things that make this location unique to Tech. A buzz statue dressed as a Waffle House server was placed at the entrance. The walls are lined with photos of different Waffle Houses through the years, and they also include Tech-related pictures like portraits of Tech athletes.

Another area on the wall is dedicated to famous graduates. Some of the faces include Jimmy Carter, Wayne Clough and Bobby Jones.

To further reinforce the Tech-centric feelings the restaurant already evokes, this Waffle House will be managed by Travis Bell, a former Tech football player. He is also overseeing another store in Underground Atlanta. These two Waffle Houses are unique because of their locations inside of a greater retail space. Another restaurant is being planned for Georgia State.

This particular location also has an outside patio with outdoor seating, a Wi-Fi lounge area and a waiting room for all take-out orders.

Still, even with all the features that make this Waffle House unique to Tech, there are still several features that can be found at any Waffle House. There is the jukebox and the standard menu. It will also be open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It will be one of the few 24-hour restaurants open on and around Tech’s campus.

While the Tech Square location is only opening now, Tech has a past connection to Waffle House. Joe Rogers, Jr., son of co-founder Joe Rogers Sr., is a Tech alum and is the current CEO of the company.

The new Waffle House location was formerly occupied by an American Apparel that closed back in December of 2008. Auxiliary Services sought to put a new facility in there related to late-night dining and Waffle House contacted them through the Department of Real Estate. The deal was finalized in the summer of 2009.

This Waffle House is one of several new branded eateries that is coming to campus. Subway and Taco Bell are slated to open this fall, replacing Pandini’s on the first floor of the student center. A Chick-Fil-A location with an expanded menu will also be opening in that space, allowing new options in the food court.