News Briefs

Rafael L. Bras was announced as the third finalist for the Provost position. Bras is currently the Dean of the Henry Samueli School of Engineering at the University of California, Irvine. He also serves as a professor in the department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at U.C., Irvine, as well as a professor in Earth Systems Science. He has been at U.C., Irvine since 2008.

Prior to joining the faculty at U.C., Irvine, Bras was a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology where he was head of the Civil and Environmental Engineering department.

Bras visited the Tech campus on Tuesday, June 15 and gave a presentation to members of the campus community about his ideas for Tech and the provost position.

The other two announced finalists are Gary May, ECE Chair, and Susan Hackwood, the Director of the California Council on Science and Technology.

Colleen Riggle was named the new Assistant Dean of Students/ Director of the Women’s Resource Center. Prior to being appointed to her new position Riggle was the director of the center. Before coming to Tech in 2006, Riggle helped to develop the Women’s Resource Center at the University of Tampa. Riggle hopes to broaden the programing initiative of the center, which was established in 1998, and work more actively with the recruitment and retention of female students at Tech.