Breaking the Bubble

A lot of things went on outside the bubble of Tech in the past week. Here are a few important events taking place throughout the nation and the world.

The details of the new iPhone were recently posted online. Technology blog Gizmodo paid more than $5000 for the suspected prototype and detailed all the changes from the current model on their site. While many of the software changes were already revealed in a presentation of the iPhone OS 4.0 last month, the new hardware had been kept under wraps. Additions from the last iPhone include a front-facing camera, a flash on the back camera, increased resolution of the screen and a Micro-SIM card slot. The phone was lost at a bar in Redwood City, CA by an engineer working for Apple. Apple requested Gizmodo to return it to them and said the editor Brian Lam was in possession of “a device that belongs to Apple.”

Goldman Sachs is being sued by the Security and Exchange Commissions in a civil lawsuit for creating and selling mortgage investments that they knew would fail. While employing investors whom were betting against the market, the company sold many mortgage-backed investments nationally and internationally. These groups stood to make money if the investment appreciated while Goldman investors would only make money if the investment depreciated. Goldman Sachs countered that they had lost money because of the overall poor state of the economy and not because of the organization of the deal. The SEC has previously not taken any legal action against the companies and the investors who benefitted from the fall of the housing market.

Commissioner Robert Goodell and the NFL have suspended Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for six games stemming from the instances of suspected sexual assault. While he has not faced charges in either case, details from the case have painted Roethlisberger in a negative light.