CoC dean finalists named, deliver final presentations

The three finalists for the vacant dean of the College of Computing (CoC) position were named and began visiting campus last week to present their visions for the college as well as their previous research experiences. The three finalists are Dr. Deborah H. Crawford, Dr. Andrew A. Chien and Dr. Zvi Galil.

The finalists were selected by a committee made up of faculty members, campus administrators and students. As the chief academic and administrative officer of the CoC, the new dean of the will be in charge of providing the overall strategic direction of the college with specific attention on defining a new generation of computation science through the college’s existing structures.

Dr. Deborah H. Crawford was the first of the finalists to visit campus when she arrived on Feb. 24. She is currently a deputy assistant director at the National Science Foundation (NSF). According to her Curriculum Vitae (CV) she is “responsible for the day‐to‐day operations of the Directorate for Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE), with an annual operating budget of over $600 million and a science, engineering and administrative team of approximately 100.”

“There’s tremendous opportunity for collaboration with the other colleges at Georgia Tech,” Crawford said in her lecture on her vision for the college.

In her lecture, she pondered and discussed different aspects of undergraduate education in computing at Tech as well as the computing education given to Tech undergraduates as a whole.

The second candidate to visit campus was Dr. Andrew A. Chien, who presently is the vice president of Intel Labs and director of Future Technologies Research for Intel Corporation.

“I’m also here because you guys have got a great opportunity to really shape the future of computing,” Chien said during his vision lecture. He also recognized the CoC for its exceptional work and mused about how to take a program from being exceptional to being one of the top programs in the nation and the world.

“If you’re going to actually beat [the top schools], you’ve got to find… different opportunities that they’re not chasing. You have to change the landscape,” Chien said.

Dr. Zvi Galil, the third finalist candidate, is currently a professor of computer science and the former president of Tel Aviv University. Galil’s campus visit began March 4, and could not be covered at the time of publication. He will present his lecture on research March 5 at 11:00 am in the Klaus building. A live webcast of the presentation can be viewed at .

The videos, CVs, and biographies of all of the finalists are available at the above website.