Breaking the Bubble

A lot of things went on outside the bubble of Tech in the past week. Here are a few important events taking place throughout the nation and the world.

A biology professor at the University of Alabama in Huntsville is accused of fatally shooting three of her colleagues and injuring three others. The woman, Amy Bishop, was allegedly distraught over the biology department’s decision not to grant her tenure. Bishop earned a degree in neurobiology from Harvard University and joined the UA faculty as an assistant professor in 2003. According to reports, Bishop allegedly shot and killed her teenage brother in 1986, but the previous shooting was ruled accidental.

The White House confirmed the capture of Afghan Taliban commander Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar in Karachi on Feb. 8. He is reported to be the second in command behind the Taliban’s leader, Mullah Omar. Baradar was arrested during a joint operation by the CIA and Pakistani security forces. The White House hailed the development as a significant step for joint US-Pakistani efforts in the region. The Taliban claim, however, that Baradar is alive and still in Afghanistan. The arrest came as US and NATO forces continued a week long offensive called Operation Moshtarak, a surge in Helmand province. The offensive is considered to be the largest against the Taliban since 2001.

The 2010 Winter Olympics began on Feb. 12 in Vancouver, Canada. Over 80 countries will participate in the event, lasting through Feb. 28. Over 60,000 people were in attendance at the opening ceremonies. The games began on a sobering tone of mourning, following the death of a Georgian luger, Nodar Kumaritashvili, during practice. As of Feb. 17, the United States led the medal count with 12 medals overall.