Robberies hit local business, bank

Two separate armed robberies occurred over the last week off-campus. Both of the crimes occurred within the expanded patrol zone of 500 feet past campus covered by the GTPD. The two instances mark the 8th and 9th armed robberies since May in and around Tech’s campus, and serve as another reminder of the increasing crime in the Atlanta area over the past few months.

The first of the crimes was an armed bank robbery on Friday, Nov. 6. Unlike the majority of the armed robberies that have happened in the Home Park neighborhood which happened between 11 p.m. and 3 a.m., the robbery at the Wachovia happened at 11:15 a.m. The suspect, described as a five-foot-five to five-foot-nine black male in a plaid shirt, entered the Wachovia Bank near Techwood Parkway and State Street and proceeded to rob the bank.

GTPD believe that the suspect may have been carrying a handgun during the robbery. The suspect then reportedly drove off in a 2004 silver Nissan Maxima, heading northbound on Techwood Parkway. The car is also believed to have been one stolen earlier from South Atlanta.

Less than a week later, a second robbed robbery occurred at the Arby’s on Spring Street and Fourth Street.

Three black males who ranged from five-foot-ten to six-foot-two in height were wearing dark clothing and dew rags over their faces when they entered the restaurant at 10:40 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 10. The men each displayed handguns to the employees and proceeded to take all the contents of the cash registers there. Afterwards, they fled from the scene towards Williams Street. Although no one was injured in the incident, the suspects were still at large as of Wednesday night.

With the increase in crime activity, the GTPD and Atlanta Police Department (APD) recommend that students extra alert and take extra precautions when traveling through and around campus.

While the investigations of both crimes are being spearheaded by the APD, if anyone has more information on either of the robberies they are advised to contact the GTPD at 404-894-2500.