Reck club brings back T-Night

On the evening of Sept. 9 a crowd filled Bobby Dodd Stadium for T-Night, an event dedicated to informing the campus community about Tech traditions hosted by the Ramblin’ Reck Club.

Also known as Traditions Night, the event returned to campus after a brief hiatus, with the last T-Night being held in 2006. The organizers hope to make it an annual tradition once more.

While the event was geared towards incoming freshman, many different facets of the Tech community came out to support this burgeoning tradition. Representatives from various athletic teams came out to support their respective sports.

“We’re thankful for everyone coming out, helping out, the Athletic Association, the band, the cheerleaders and the Glee Club,” said Jason Rodzik, a second-year CS graduate student and Ramblin’ Reck Club member.

The night began with a run through of different cheers and the presentation of a brief history of Tech.

“This is a really important thing to bring back, especially for freshmen. I wish this happened when I was a freshman,” said Kristen Greig, a second-year IAML student.

Cries of “What’s the good word?” and “To hell with Georgia!” reverberated throughout the stadium into the night. As the event progressed, many lesser known traditions and facts were shared. These facts included tidbuts such as the history of Buzz, the Ramblin’ Wreck, T-Man, and other past Tech mascots.

In addition, the event showcased a demonstration of the Mini 500, a tricycle race held during Homecoming week around Peters Parking deck. Attendees were also introduced to the Freshman Cake Race, which has been held since 1911. Students compete in a half-mile foot race through campus, the top-three finishers of which receive a baked cake. The top finisher from both sexes receives a kiss from Mr. and Mrs. Georgia Tech, respectively.

T-Night was a bringing together of the Tech community to celebrate traditions that have lasted over 100 years, and organizers hope that this tradition can continue on into future years.

“The reason why Tech is better is because of our traditions. Being able to come out and celebrate is why I love Tech!” said Dane Kalejta, vice president of the Ramblin’ Reck Club and fifth-year IE major.