Council Clippings

This edition of Council Clippings covers the UHR and GSS meetings from Sept. 15, 2009.

SGA looked at bill fund to personnel for the new challenge course. Assistant Director for Outdoor Recreation Leigh Jackson-Magennis spoke for the funding of the personnel. Jackson-Magennis discussed the importance placed on having professional man the course by former Institute President Clough and the continued support by current Institute President. She noted that the challenge was designed to meet the demands of students first and outside parties second. The funding totaling $35,580 would fund 11 professional staffers who would be working on a day-to-day basis based on groups booked to use the challenge course. Jackson-Magennis said the hope was that the revenue generated by the challenge course would cover the cost of staffing in future years, that future funding would not be needed if the anticipated revenue comes to fruition. Jackson-Magennis said that the courses ability to handle a wide range of groups from as few as eight, along with many different program options, the ability to attract enough groups to keep the course booked should not be an over burdensome task. GSS passed the unanimously; UHR passed the bill with a vote of 35-3.

SGA passed by acclamation a resolution expressing the deepest condolences to the family and friends of Jasmine Lynn. Lynn was a student at Spelman College in Atlanta who was murdered on the Clark Atlanta University. Undergraduate Student Body President Alina Staskevicius acknowledged that it is uncommon for SGA to pass such a resolution for someone outside the Tech campus, but said that because of the tragic nature of the situation and the recent crimes that have affected students in recent months, that such a resolution was appropriate.